Help....can't access 'Sound & Audio Devices' in Windows XP

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mammoth, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Mammoth

Mammoth OT Supporter

Went to my mother's house this weekend 'cuz she was having some computer problems. She said she thought her speakers were bad because she was getting no sound. What I noticed when I checked out her "Sound and Audio Devices" in the Control Panel was that her volume was set to the lowest level possible. However, you couldn't increase the volume because it was grayed out. Almost like an administrator was not authorizing you access to the volume controls.

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about (this is a picture of MY sound devices, not my mothers). This one is working fine, but imagine if the everything was grayed out in the picture below & you couldn't click on anything to adjust the volume. Well, that's how my mother's PC is right now.

[​IMG]

I checked to make sure she was logged in as the Administrator and she was. She only had 2 logins: Owner and Guest, and she was logged in under "Owner". I also checked the Device Manager and made sure all the drivers were working properly and that there were no errors listed. I even performed a Windows Update just to make sure everything was up to date.
    Obviously, I'd like to be able to fix her problem but I haven't got a clue what's causing it. If you guys could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Do her speakers use a USB plug or a headphone plug?

3. Mammoth

Mammoth OT Supporter

A headphone plug.

4. deusexaethera

Hmm. Then the speakers' volume control isn't automatically disabling the software volume in Windows. Maybe try uninstalling the sound card and rebooting and letting Windows re-detect it?

5. Mammoth

Mammoth OT Supporter

Good idea. If I'm over there this weekend, I'll give that a try. It's so hard to fix something when you don't have 24/7 access to it. And I don't want to bring it home with me 'cuz she needs it for work. Oh well, we'll see what happens. Very perplexing. Thanks for the help :bigthumb:.

6. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

I would go ahead and walk her through installing teamviewer. www.teamviewer.com Have her make a permanent password when she installs it. After you install it on your PC you enter the ID and password and control her any time you want. Works over SSL if you are worried about security, there are no firewalls to bypass as long as you have internet access. You can restart and do anything as if you were there... just cant touch the case :p

7. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

:bowdown: I've been looking for a program like this. Wonder if you can share files. :confused: Will find out!

To the poster. I'd so what was suggested. If that doesn't work I'd reinstall the audio drivers for the soundcard.

8. Hate Crime

Yes. You can do file transfers with it as well. If someone wants to see your screen, theres actually a button that "switches teams" so they see your screen with 1 button.

9. Mammoth

Mammoth OT Supporter

:bowdown: Thanks. That's a great idea! :bowdown:

*edit - excellent, and it's FREE too. Man, you can't beat that!

10. Hate Crime

Best part about it is it runs as a service so after you restart, just wait a couple minutes and reconnect if need be, otherwise teamviewer will automatically hook you up when they are back online. There is also a portable version on the website that doesnt require installation.

11. Hate Crime

It's probably the most useful piece of software I have used. We have a premium account at work(I work for a software company), so our customers can all have the same password, and if you use a premium account, you can have multiple connections open using a teamviewer manager. Store your connections in folders, by name or however, you can bill them according to time connected and so on.

12. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Just an obvious question...

Did you try to click on the audio tab to make sure that the proper default
    devices were checked in the sound playback and sound recording?

And it wouldn't hurt to check the Voice tab for those two as well.

13. Mammoth

Mammoth OT Supporter

Yeah I did. Everything in there was set appropriately. Good suggestion though. I mean, sometimes the easiest & most obvious solutions are the ones overlooked. :hs:

14. Mammoth

Mammoth OT Supporter

Thanks deusexaethera & Hate Crime. I used the Team Viewer to access my mom's computer, and then unistalled her sound card drivers. When Windows automatically re-detected them & then re-installed them, everything started working.

Thanks a ton for the help! :bigthumb:

15. deusexaethera

:cool:

You could have used Windows Remote Assistance, but it's actualy more of a pain to use than those other products. Still, it's useful in instances where you don't have permission to install programs.

Another good one is GoToMeeting, though it's not really designed for remote assistance specifically.