A&P Help buying a 70-200mm Lens

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Ballast, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Ballast

Ballast Cold Heartless Bastard

Okay guys,

I'd love to get the Canon 70-200L F2.8 IS, but I can't afford it, and it's not like I'm selling many of my photos anyway.

I'm looking to replace my Canon 75-300 F4-5.6, with either a Canon 70-200L F4, or the Sigma 70-200MM F2.8 MACRO EX DG.

Which do you guys think is worth it more? I can get the Canon for $800CDN, or the Sigma for $1300CDN. I can't justify the $1500 for the Canon 2.8....
    It'll be used on my original Canon Digital Rebel (the EOS 300D)

Canon
    [​IMG]
    * A compact, SLR telephoto Lens
    * Ideal for sports, and wildlife
    * Fluorite and UD elements
    * Filter Diameter: 67mm
    * High performance, L-series telephoto zoom lens for professional and advanced amateur users
    * Compatible with extenders EF1.4 and EF2
    * Diagonal Angle of View: 34-12 degrees
    * Lens Construction (elements/groups): Elements - 16/Groups - 13
    * 8 diaphragm blades
    * Minimum Aperture: F32 - F16
    * Closest Focusing Distance: 1.2m
    * Magnification: 0.21x
    * Dimensions: Max diameter x length - 76mm x 172mm
    * Weight: 705g
    * Optional lens hood: ET-74

Sigma
    [​IMG]

* Large aperture zoom lens
    * Ideal for close-up photography
    * Canon, Nikon or Sigma mounts avbl
    * Filter Size: 77mm
    * Focal Length: 70-200mm
    * Minimum Aperture: F22
    * Lens Construction: 18 Elements in 15 Groups
    * Angle of View: 34.3 - 12.3 degrees
    * Number of Diaphragm Blades: 9 Blades
    * Minimum Focusing Distance 100cm/39.4 inches
    * Maximum Magnification 1:3.5
    * Canon Mount
    * Dimensions Diameter 86.6mm X Length 184.4mm (3.4 in. X 7.3 in.)
    * Weight 1,380g (48.7 oz.)

2. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

what kind of photography will you be shooting? if you are shooting soley hockey and night football then get the sigma...if you doing mostly portaits etc get the canon. canon's optical quality in the highend bracket vs. the sigma optical quality will always be much higher

3. MeanFiddler

MeanFiddler The C.I.A. is Trying to Kill Me

If you can afford it, definitely go for the widest aperture where possible. Obviously the Sigma isn't L glass, but it's very high quality and if you're not selling photographs, there's no problem. Many pros use Sigma glass anyway. It's not too heavy either, from handling it for 20 minutes or so.

Tedrzz: If he's on a budget, I don't think buying a lens suited to a singular purpose (i.e. the Canon) would be the best idea.

Having said that, I get perfectly crisp shots of motorbikes using my Nikkor 300mm f/4 during the day.

4. Ballast

Ballast Cold Heartless Bastard

I do a lot of Solo2 (autocross) racing photos (sold about a dozen in the past 2 years). I'll also be taking the camera to NHL games and such with this lens. I don't do it now, because my current lens sucks too much...
    Truth be told, it'll be the best lens I own, so I'll probably take it with me for travel photography as well. Just keep that and my Canon 50mm F1.8 in my bag for travel.

Once I'm happy with my setup, I'll be going back to my old university to shoot as many sport events as possible (just as a hobby). I'm fortunate enough to still live in the same city.

5. MeanFiddler

MeanFiddler The C.I.A. is Trying to Kill Me

If you're shooting hockey games and racing, you'd be best advised to buy the f/2.8 imo.

6. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

Dude, if you get the Sigma, get it down in the states, it's wayyyyyyy cheaper, I believe it was bh photo video where it's much cheaper, and when they ship it to you, you don't get drilled Canada Customs for taxes. $1300 is a fucked up price to pay for it. See if you can buy it used locally as well, I got my sigma used for $700, granted it's not the macro version; but still, $1300 is excessive.

Having stated that, i'd go with the Sigma. I had the Canon 70-200 before, and the extra stop on the Sigma helped me out bigtime.

7. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

Sigma...f/2.8 ftw!

8. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

You should also consider the Sigma 50-150 2.8 if you are not considering going FF anytime soon.

Still get 2.8, about half the weight of the sigma 70-200 and maybe $100 more than the Canon.

If 200mm is important to you though, then I guess you can forget about this lens.

9. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

i just bought the sigma got a great deal. DG version with Hoya multi coated UV filter for 600 shipped. Get the 2.8 or you will regret it later.

10. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

get the Canon 70-200 f2.8 non-IS

11. mojito

mojito New Member

f/4 IS, best optics of the group

12. crazykid

crazykid New Member

Hey man, we live next to each other, I live out in Ingersoll Ontario.

Anyway, I just got the Sigma 70-200 F2.8 and its the best lens I own. Too bad im shooting Nikon or else I would say we could meet up and you could give it a try.
    What autocrosses do you shoot? Do you head down to Sarnia for the winter series? Or wait til summer?
    I say go for the Sigma, look around on the net, I got mine used from someone on Nikoncafe.com and it was like new... and its not too bad to carry around.
    I cant wait for race season to get here... I do alot of dragracing stuff... and shoot for www.tunerzine.com