HELP? Broken rod bearing...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Legz, May 26, 2006.

1. Legz

Legz New Member

Maybe this isn't the best place to post this. But I'm sure you all know way more about cars than I do.
    I drive a 99 Oldsmobile Intrigue... yes I know not the best car, but that's besides the point. :)
    I was experiencing a weird clicking noise from under the hood. My mechanic say's I have a broken steering. Wondering if anyone knows what possibly causes this??? Or if I'm getting screwed with by the mechanic.
    Any help would be GREAT!!! Thanks!

Last edited: May 26, 2006
  2. Dragula

Dragula I has a TV

So do you have broken steering or a broken rod bearing?

3. toeshoes

toeshoes Guest

Maybe your fuel injectors? They click when they pulse.

Does it do it in gear or at idle, or both?

If it's your steering pump, it would whine, not click.

Also check your belt tensioner.

4. Dragula

Dragula I has a TV

From looking at the intrigue boards quickly, it seems like a somewhat common thing. Some people are saying water pump going bad...Maybe its something stupid like an exhaust leak. Any better details about whats going on?

5. toeshoes

toeshoes Guest

A water pump going bad would leak water. An exhaust leak would be iffy. We need more info.

6. Dragula

Dragula I has a TV

I'm just relaying what the intrigue boards said...Besides, a water pump going bad could also mean that the bearings in the pump are worn..this could give the shaft some excessive play and cause the impellers to occasionally contact the pump housing causing a tick(yeah, I know its a long shot). I agree though, we don't have nearly enough info to go by. Maybe take a hose, put one end to your ear and move the other end around the engine bay till you get to the spot where the clicking is loudest and tell us where that happens to be. At least we'll have a better idea of the general area.

7. Legz

Legz New Member

The mechanic said "broken rod bearing"

Its not a whining noise, it's definitely a clikcing noise. Does it when the car is in gear and idle. It also chugs when it's idle.

Also, when I was with the mechanic, he kept pressing the throttle and the noise would get worse.

I thought it was the fan but it was closer to the back of the engine. Almost sounded like it was coming from somewhere near the exposed belts (don't know if there are other belts)

Sorry.. didn't realize I wrote broken steering! Oops. Also just had my upper intake manifold replaced as well as my sterring rack.

8. SporkLover

SporkLover New Member

rod bearings or main bearings get louder as the revs increase. The knock is deep and pretty distinct as long as you have heard one before.

A typical symptom of a spun/bad bearing is the oil pressure would fall as you rev.

9. hvy55chvy

hvy55chvy OT Supporter

Another tell tell sign of a rod bearing failure is whats in the oil. If the bearing is gone or being chewed away, all the super tiny metallic material mixes with the oil. Larger chunks get caught in the oil filter, if you are lucky. If you drained your oil you would have a nice glittery show pouring into the drain pan. You might even be able to see this metal on the tip of your dip stick.

When the engine is hot, pull the dip stick and look closley for tiny bits of metal. If you are still unsure of what you are seeing on the dipstick wipe the oil on the dip stick on black cloth or dark paper. Shiny specs wil be more visible in this way. If you see metal material your motor doesnt have long to live before it destroys all the oil lubricaed bearings.

I have seen collapsed valve lifters cause clicking sounds that get worse with RPM and tend to make the motor ide rough or chug as you put it.

10. SporkLover

SporkLover New Member

Ahhh yes.... the joys of a collapsed lifter..... this will make a car run pretty rough in the higher rpm rangers....