HELP! Axel going out on Civic...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by antiabercrombie, Mar 25, 2003.

1. antiabercrombie

antiabercrombie fuk u lemonardo OT Supporter

The front axel on my 1997 Civic EX is going out and the shops around me want $100 to replace it (+$70 for the part).

Has anyone changed this before? If so, is it very hard?

I would like to fix it myself to save the $$ and I have some car knowledge and have changed several parts on various cars (mostly under the hood).

Thanks!

2. g1ock

g1ock Guest

Its very easy, pick up one of those manuels for your cars at your local Autozone or Pepboys for 10 bucks, you should have most of the tools you need already, might have to pick up a 32mm axel socket, shouldnt take more then an hour, and the axel should cost about 50$ at autozone if you give them your old one.

3. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

Its not that easy.. but its not hard...

4. KENLUDE97

KENLUDE97 New Member

It is not a "hard" job. But the first time that you do it, it will take a wile and you will prolly get pretty fustrated! Stick with it.

1. Wile the car is on the ground you will want to loosen up the "axle" nut. You will need a 32mm socket and a 4' prybar. loosen the lug nutts wile you are at it.

2. Jack up car and secure on jack stands.

3. remove wheel and axle nutt.

4. Remove ball joint nutts and cotter pins. To seprate the ball joint and the A arms is usually a Pain in the @$$ But they do come apart. use some Penetrating oil and let that work wile you drink a beer. (if you have a air compressor this will come in handy trying to get the ball joits out. You need to use a spreader fork they work really nice.)

5. After you have the Joints off. You will need to put a oil "catch" pan under the output of the tranny so that when you pll the CV joint you don't spill oil every where.

6. Pulling the CV joint. Use a BIG Flat blade screw driver and "pop" the Joiint out. Prying between the tranny casing and the CV joint.

DO NOT TRY TO "PULL" THE CV JOINT OUT WITH YOUR HANDS! They are not made to be pulled.

7. Reverse the steps to reassemble. Take this opportunity to look at your ball joints. If they mover easly with you fingers then change them now. It will save you LOTS of time down the road.

Good luck.... :bigthumb:

5. KENLUDE97

KENLUDE97 New Member

Oh yea go to your dealer and get a "helms" this the repair manual that the Honda techs use!! It is PRICELESS when you are working on a honda. It puts the Chiltons to shame with the details that it contains. The book from Honda is arround $60 but worth every PENNY!!!

Ask anyone that has worked on Honda's and they will tell you to get that book!