SRS Help at work...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by registeredPORK, May 16, 2008.

1. registeredPORK

registeredPORK Happy Poo Poo

So, I smoke. No big surprise there with the stress in my life. I'm addicted, yes, I know. I need to quit for the better of my health--yes, I know.

Basically, I got an e-mail yesterday from the co-worker that shares my office with me. She basically asked me to stop smoking during work hours. I replied back saying I'm open to any suggestions but she couldn't give any.

In any case, what should I do or say?

I smoke on my breaks, away from the building in fact! I actually smoke in a little alley because I am aware of second hand smoking and all that.

I know she's a health nut, and has mentioned that she doesn't want to endanger her well-being to second hand smoke (I don't think I can really call it that but I s'pose I understand). In any case, she went further on saying how she's a little bit allergic to smoke and that sometimes when I come from breaks I don't smell like smoke and sometimes I do. She sits right next to a window, so I don't know why she doesn't open it...

So I guess... my question is: should I stop smoking during my breaks because she's asking me?

I've never been in an awkward social situation like this in a work environment so any help is appreciated.

2. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Well I loathe smoking to begin with, so I'd just say quit smoking altogether for your own benefit.

3. Handerhan

Handerhan New Member

Sounds like she's complaining about your stink rather than second-hand smoke. I hate that smell too and I SMOKE! I try to wash my hands after I smoke to get rid of some of my stink. So I'd say either quit, or suggest she quit bitching during work hours.

4. BadKat

BadKat GIVE ME WINE!!

There is not reason why you can't smoke on your breaks. If there is a no smoking policy on company grounds, it's very easy to just walk off property and still have your cigarette.

I suggest just washing your hands at least aftewards. That's what I do to get some of the stench off me. I'm also a girl, so I occasionally spray some body spray or something on my clothes afterwards.

Other than that, she should just mind her own business. I would tell her to just open the window :dunno: I deal with a couple of people here at work that have bad breath or stink because they worked out and didn't shower afterwards. I don't exactly tell them to take a tick-tack or to shower, I just breath through my mouth :mamoru:

5. bluefox1081

bluefox1081 New Member

If you're smoking outside, what second-hand smoke does she have to worry about?

6. Socrates

Socrates New Member

It's most likely the fact that you smell like smoke once you come back in.

Just like IWYWB, I hate smoking and I nearly puke if I smell it. Somehow the smell of it on someone's clothing is worse than the actual burning cigarette itself.

Just think if you worked around someone with nasty BO. That is probably what your co-worker experiences after you smoke.

7. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

:werd: I think she's just sayng it's the "second hand smoke" stuff because she thinks telling you you stink/smell like smoke comes off more rude. I can smell cigarrettes a mile away and when I smell it on people it literally makes me gag :(

I was at a customers home earlier who smoked so bad she had horrendous brown teeth, lines all around her mouth and when I walked out (after only being in there for 10 minutes) and I reak of smoke on my clothes. I feel sick just catching a whiff of my shirt.

8. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

Fuck that. :ugh: There's no policy against it and you don't make anyone walk through your smoke cause you stand near the door. Wear a jacket when you go outside and take it off when you get back in. She can open the window if need be. Besides, if it's that important, she can talk to you about it in person.

9. porsch1909

porsch1909 OT Supporter

Carry some deoderant around with you and spray yourself. Don't stop smoking during work hours because of her. You will just get less work done thinking about having a cigarette.

That is unless you want to stop.

Never knew you smoked either...

10. Redbeard

Redbeard OT Supporter

Smoke out in the open so its not all over your clothes, smoke facing the direction the wind is blowing and make sure you keep blowing with the wind.

11. Jcrash

Jcrash 93.till.infinity-ing

You should tell her to open the window...

...then go outside and smoke near it.

Wash your hands and chew some gum you should be ok. I used to work at a dental office and one of the hygienists' made a habit of smoking with a glove so she wouldn't have to scrub the smell out.

12. Fuzion

Fuzion heaven and hell

use a cig holder, wash your hands after you smoke.

gum + cologne right when u get in so you dont stink up the place.

13. registeredPORK

registeredPORK Happy Poo Poo

Thanks for all the ideas folks.

I don't know if I mentioned this in my first post but the work environment is a no perfume/cologne environment.

I wash my hands after I smoke, and I usually chew gum when I have it but I don't think to her that, that matters.

Again, thanks for all the input and etc... :)

14. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

mouthwash and axe body spray.

The mouthwash is obvious, clear up the breath but the axe body spray will help cancel out the smoke stench. It clings to your hair and clothes. That's where you want to spray. Don't spray in one large dose in a spot but about a foot back, loosely covering everything. The first thing Axe does is neutralize any other odors.

15. Cumstang02

Cumstang02 New Member

Fuck her... I hate this shit and i don't smoke.

I see that as the same as a girl saying that she can still smell my lunch on me and is allergic to that type of food. You're being considerate, don't worry about her. Tell her to get a candle.

16. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I get physically sick from smoke, along with burning eyes and not only does it stink it ,its annoying and second hand smoking can give people cancer if not it does your own health non good, and financially its an expensive hobby too. Its hard to quit tho , but jumping out of that addiction is eventually recommended. I believe everyone should be allowed to enjoy but not to annoy others, if their complaint about the annoying thing is valid tho.

17. Cumstang02

Cumstang02 New Member

Their complain is annoying... paradox.

EDIT: Let me explain myself. Its a pet peeve of mine when people push their issues off on me.

18. joshts0

joshts0 Aprilia > *

In long term studies, second hand smoke was shown to have no correlation at all to increased risk of cancer or any other diseases. It can bug allergies, but that's about it.

Can you just be moved to a different spot so the smell doesn't bug her? Don't go out of your way and change your lifestyle, because it's bugging someone else.