HELP!!! Alarm Problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mikeveli, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Mikeveli

Mikeveli The Don

I have an audiovox prestige aps996 alarm/remote start...a couple days ago my kid hit a bunch of buttons on the pager which started the car and also set off the alarm a couple times.

Later that day I go outside, and the BRAKE, BATTERY, and all the DOOR lights all light up on the dash when I start the car (with the key), and they remain lit. Also, when I use the remote starter, what will happen is the car will start for about 10 seconds, then stop, start again for 10 seconds and stop, and one more time start and stop, then finally just stop altogether.

Now again this happened a couple of days ago, and those dash lights have stayed on ever since. Finally last night my car died while driving, twice. Seemed like the battery was completely drained and possibly the alternator. The hazard lights wouldnt even stay on for more then 2 seconds.

Anyone have any ideas what could've triggered this? My car had to be towed and i have to find someone to take a look at it. THANKS
    BTW its a 2001 Honda Accord EX v6 Sedan

Last edited: Jul 29, 2007
  2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I had to take my aftermarket alarm out of my GMC. It worked fine for almost a year. Then the passlock light would flash and sometimes the engine would start, and othertimes not. Removed the alarm and (knock-on-wood) now it works fine. Talked to a mechanic and he basically blasted all aftermarket alarms saying they were shit and all would do this.

3. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

first, go to an auto parts store and have the codes scanned and cleared to ensure that there is nothing major going on with the car. then go to your installer and have them check and reset the alarm. this should take care of the problems. sounds like you may have some backfeeding going on in there. it could be a now bad alarm brain.

4. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

this should be no surprise. mechanics often talk down on things they don't understand.....like relays and magnetic switches and radio transmitters/receivers.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well, his advice seems to have worked. So he has demonstrated to me that he likely knows what he's talking about.