Help accessing c:\userdata folder

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by i go rawr, Sep 26, 2005.

1. i go rawr

i go rawr New Member

Ok, so i recently put my comp through system restore, and it sent all my old files before the restore to c:\userdata but whenever i try to access it it says "access denied".

is there any way possible to save those files from being permanently non-accessable? :ugh: :sadwavey:

2. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

As long as they aren't encrypted you can take ownership of the folder and give yourself full access... provided you have 2000 or XP pro. XP Home makes things more difficult.

3. i go rawr

i go rawr New Member

damnit. im using xp home. ok, time to transfer files to an external then reformat the damn thing.

would you call this easier than attempting to do it manually with xp home?

4. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

I imagine there must be utilities you can download that will do it for you. We use WinXP Pro and 2000 at work and I use XP Pro at home so I've never had to do it. Thus, I can only tell you that it can be done.

Might not hurt to just poke around looking for something before you go through the trouble of reformating.

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

If you boot Home in safe mode, you should have the security tab just like in Pro. I came across this on a system where I loaded a parallel copy of Windows and the old user profile folder was "access denied". I booted in safe mode, took ownership of the folder, reset all child permissions, and then had access to the files in normal mode.

6. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

fucking home edition. that safe mode shit threw me too when the admin account wasn't there :o