Help a newbie out

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Marijuanair, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Marijuanair

Marijuanair Remember to have your pet spayed or neutered! OT Supporter

Sup guys, I have some questions I hope you can answer.
    Now, let me start by saying, compared to you guys Im a drooling retard when it comes to computers, but compared to most people Im a L337 H4X0R. I understand most everything you guys are saying but I lack the hands on knowledge I need.

What I am looking to do is build my own computer. I tried this once and failed, it just wouldnt work. I know how to install all the hardware stuff, I think. What I do not know is what is compatable with what and how to trouble shoot when something doesnt work perfectly the first time.

Is there a website or online guide on how to build your own computer? I plan on buying everything off of www.pricewatch.com and putting it all together at home. I will update this later with item that I plan on buying, then I will string them all together and post them here, I would like you guys to tell me is they all will work together perfectly and have no compatablity issues.

Also, If you guys can link me to super kick ass deals on computers or parts, I would much appreciate it, thanks in advnace

Cliffs: I need a "build your own computer" online guide or website.

2. skooter

skooter Guest

newegg.com - i think everyone will agree on this.

I wrote a how to put together a computer guide a while ago, hah i just found the link to it on one of my old archive directories, maybe it will help, its pretty basic.

Putting together a computer

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

pricewatch is the WORST site to buy parts on. Might as well go buy from the trunk of a guys car.

4. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

More or less true.

I've built a half dozen computers from parts bought online and I'd recommend Newegg.com and Zipzoomfly.com.

5. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

6. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

7. DemisE

DemisE Active Member

Probably the easiest way to learn is to find a friend locally that knows how to build on and have them help you out. They can answer questions you have faster than searching the web most times.

8. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour OT Supporter

:werd: NewEgg is awesome.

9. badguy106

badguy106 Location:Tn

10. MovieMan84

MovieMan84 Here we go

I've never once had a problem with pricewatch, but I always check places out on resellerratings.com before I buy from them. If you need any specific help, go ahead and post your questions, I'm sure someone here can help. Another board that I use a lot of www.amdforums.com (now forums.pcper.com after a name change...) They're a good bunch of folks that are usually eager to help out newbies.

Why don't you post your system specs here before you buy anything and someone can tell you what will and won't play nicely together.

11. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I haven't had a Tux av in a long time. I had a SuSE gecko one for a while though. Maybe my next one will be my desktop background:

[​IMG]

:bigthumb:

12. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey