Help a newbie out with gear

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Snowman, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Snowman

Snowman I know the Benzes. OT Supporter

Well I've been steadily researching gear but still would like some advice from people out there. This is my first bike.

I was thinking of Vanson but it seems that just for jacket and pants I would be paying over $1k. Dainese maybe? I heard Alpinestars is also good. I'm looking at leather jackets and probably leather pants too. I can get mesh later if it's too hot for me.

So any other companies good for leather jackets/pants?

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If your looking to go the inexpensive route Fieldsheer stuff is pretty good and can be had for good prices, Dainese is good but more pricey then Vanson paid for my Dainese gloves then my FS Jacket, and Alpine is also good. AGV stuff is pretty cheap quality is alright although I prefer there lids over there leather gear.

3. SBandit4

SBandit4 If shit hits the fan, just make sure you have a go

The sizing of the cuts from different comapines vary, so it would be a good idea to just go into a shop and try on what they have to see which ones fit you best. Look for a snugg fit, so it will reduce the chance of road rash when you go down. Some companies that offer good products are Kushitani, Daianese, Alpinestar, Teknic, Icon, Spyke, and Spidi.

4. Snowman

Very good point. Thanks for the replies guys. :)

5. atomlowe

atomlowe meh....member

I have Vanson's and would absolutely recommend them without question to anyone. I had a custom set made for me and it ran me about $2k CAD. I've also tested them with an off at the track. I highsided then tumbled into the outfields and the leathers did they're job. I think I'll be able to use these for the next 10 years without replacing them. Also, with the vanson's....when I ordered mine a few years ago they didn't offer a full waist zipper which I found pretty lame. Have them add one or have one installed. Leathers top and bottoms seperation could be real painful in the event of a slide.

A few notes:

Whatever you buy regardless of maker, I'd recommend buy hard armour or GP armour. Placed in the right spots this add far superior protection over foam.

Examine the stitching and seams of the leathers. Remember that ever seam is a potential tear zone of the garment. Take a look at the construction of the Vansons and the quality of the leather.

Make sure the leathers fit properly and do not stretch them out its what you think they should form to. By this I mean when you put the leathers on and it feels a bit tight across the top when you stand straight up....do not stretch your arms to your back. Each suit is designed and built to fit a certain way and in a sense form fitted. You may feels as though you're hunched over...this is normal. If you're in a shop when trying these on, get onto a bike on the showroom floor and see how they fit. Sometimes they fit great standing up, but once in your riding postion is gets a bit difficult. Although they may stretch out, try it on a bike and also allow for the addition of a back protector or spine board. Something I'd highly recommend getting.

Perf or not.....depending on what type of rider and where you live, Perfs are the way to go. I find that you can always add insulation, but can't remove layers when its too hot.

6. Snowman

Yeah I was definitely considering getting perforated. Also a Knox/Tecnic spine/back protector that is CE certified.

7. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe