Help a newb out v2.0

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by NYM3, Jan 26, 2005.

1. NYM3

NYM3 Is this teal life or is it....fanta-sea?

OK....so wednesday My nakamichi CD400, MB Quart PCE213 5.25 components(front only), and phenix gold 350 are being installed.

Now im thinking I should just install some rear speakers while its in there...
    Should I just get some MB quart coaxials?
    or a relatively cheap set of mb quart components that wouldnt be much more money(would this require another amp?)?

Any other suggestions?

2. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

It's always good to run comps off an external amp. Coaxials should be fine though, unless you want comps. How often do you listen to the radio in the back seat? :p

3. NYM3

well i just figured it would sound nice having some rear fill....i guess youre right the coax's should be more than enough...and i can just run them off the deck's internal amp right?

4. StealthMode

5. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Why? Unless you have passengers in the back seat all the time or are planning on upgrading to surround sound then there isn't much of a reason. No one has ever gotten in my car and asked me why I don't have rear speakers. You could also devote the extra money to a higher end amp (I've got nothing against Phoenix Gold, but there is better).

6. NYM3

thanks guys....i dont know...i can usually hear when there's no sound from the rear....just seems like it would be nice to have some sort of sound coming from back there.

What about two small woofers for some extra bass back there?

7. StealthMode

That would work too.

8. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Well, that's probably because you are used to have 4 speakers in your car. But, if you were to get in a car with only fronts that was staged decently, you probably wouldn't immediately say "YOU HAVE NO REAR SPEAKERS!" You will notice that in home audio, people that are very into hi-fi will have a two-channel setup for their music. Anyway, woofers shouldn't really do that much for rear fill, as bass is mostly non-directional. But hey, it's your car, if you prefer rear fill, go for it.

9. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

:werd: Nobody ever gets in my car and says "Hey, there's sound coming from the back, where are your rear speakers?".

If you have to have rear fill, think about just using a set of MBQ midranges. You don't want a lot of treble in your rear fill.

Either way it looks like you'll have a nice setup there. :big grin:

10. Ronin

Ronin Guest

dont worry about rear fill 2 much, music is recorded in stereo anyway, coaxs should be enough.

11. NYM3

right now i have the stock speakers running off the deck's power....faded mostly to the front....about 80%....so they do a decent job with rear fill.

It sounds excellent. I might through some midranges/woofers in there later on.

Thanks again for the help everyone :bigthumb: