A&P Help a lighting noob :o

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by mrduke, Dec 10, 2008.

1. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

So I want to get into off-camera lighting, this time without spending too much money. I already own a 430EX, so the flash part is (for now) taken care of. I'm looking at the Cactus Wireless Trigger V2 mainly for the price and I'm having some trouble understanding how it works - as I understand it, the transmitter goes into the hotshoe on camera and transmits to the receiver which is connected to the flash via a cable, but my 430EX doesn't have any input jacks on it. According to the Cactus site that flash is compatible with their stuff. Can someone break this down into layman's terms for me? :x: :o

2. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

You can attach them to the hotshoe or you can purchase the wires to hook them up (which in your case doesn't apply). The swivel that hooked on to the hotshoe used to be flimsy as shit but my friend ordered ones a few months after me and they made them a little more rigid. I would get them if I were you.

3. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

Yeah... the cactus triggers have a "hot shoe" built into the top of them. But they don't play well with the 430ex. you get lots of "phantom" fires... sometimes the flash just goes off by itself.

4. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

Excellent, thanks for the info. The picture isn't very good on their site so I couldn't tell if it went onto the flash hotshoe. Ordering now :bigthumb:

5. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

Is that the only issue or are they known to not fire when they should? I wouldn't mind a couple of random flashes as long as it works when I want it to. Especially for $32 :mamoru:

6. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

I'd say for the price catus triggers are cool. I use them with a 285HV and a 430EX. They both will misfire on occasion, but the 430EX will go off randomly.
    I read some forums about the problem and found that people are having good luck by getting a hotshoe-PC adapter and putting that under the 430EX and then attaching the catus via a wire. I got one and tried it. I've only had a couple of random firings and could probably elimate them completely if my PC cable was a little longer.
    Using a hotshoe-PC adapter would probably be a good idea anyway since the triggers are very cheaply made and the flash will be mounted much stronger on the adapter.

Here's the adapter I am refering to. http://www.mpex.com/browse.cfm/4,857.html

7. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

sweet, thanks. i'm pretty pumped to get that flash off the camera :cool: