MMA Help a judo noob out a little?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Yossarian, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Yossarian

Yossarian OT Supporter

After a serious injury/long healing time I finally got started with judo last night. It was cool I suppose and to think I wouldn't be feeling it today would be stupid. That said, I can't say I enjoyed being thrown around like a ragdoll all night. Does this get easier? I'm thinking the other noob doing the throwing didn't know what he was doing and I didn't know too much about how to fall properly either. Is the idea that this falling on your side, your back, being thrown over another mans shoulder for two hours is supposed to be fun? Does it get fun at any point? The physical exhaustion I can deal with, the stiffness and whatnot the day after I know goes away and its not worth complaining about but the constant abuse I dunno. Despite getting owned I enjoyed the grappling though, the little I did of it. I've already looked at my options, see if I can't find something with less throws, something like greco-roman wrestling or even ju jitsu. I even found a MMA club which on mondays only do grappling. Definitely going to check that out.

What do you guys say? I'm I just being a pansy, everybody gets beat up the first two months of judo and I better just stick with it cause it does get better?

2. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Look into ballet, it might be more your style.

3. Yossarian

Yossarian OT Supporter

Yeh, it's a good thing I saw that coming.
    now stfu, I don't need your input.

4. Optamix

Optamix New Member

To answer your question, no it doesn't get easier.

I've been doing this for 6 years. I can't look over my right shoulder today, I just about had my balls crushed into my stomach last night, I got choked unconscious twice last night(fucking blood chokes where you can still breath sneak up on you).

I've broken my arm, my hand, my foot, my nose, and damn near had my foot ripped off a few to many times that left my hobbling around on crutches.

IF you can't take getting tossed over someones shoulder, find a new sport.

5. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

and even after all those injuries, you'll be remembered as "that mma fighter who has a lip ring" lol.

6. Optamix

Optamix New Member

And always looses to black guys.

7. Yossarian

Yossarian OT Supporter

See, that wasn't so hard.
    Thanks.

Isn't so much about taking being thrown over someones shoulder, its just if what I went through last night is representative of what I'll go through for as long as I do judo. But yeah, judging from what you just said everybody lies. I've been told despite being full contact judo has few injuries unless you proper compete, maybe you do.

8. teep

teep New Member

i got nut shotted 5 times yesterday. i got so pissed i yelled at the kid to get the fuck out of the gym. i'm a very understanding guy when it comes to accidents like that. even when it happens twice. but fuck. 5 times?

9. Optamix

Optamix New Member

All the long term judo guys taht come to our gym spend 30 min taping up all their fingers and joints, move like they are 20 years older than they look and pop pain pills like candy.

10. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

i've been to Mississippi, black people there are scary so i don't blame you for that part.

11. Yossarian

Yossarian OT Supporter

You're an awesome ambassador of the sport. Way to pull new recruits..
    I'll probably draw the line somewhere but it isn't here. I'll go back and I'll keep going until I see improvement, it starts to get fun - whichever comes first. And then I'll make up my mind if it's worth it.

Thanks man.

12. teep

teep New Member

MMA doesn't like new recruits. gotta be OG son

13. Optamix

Optamix New Member

fucking word.

14. GeeGee

GeeGee New Member

Tim is right. All I do is BJJ for the past 2 years or so and Ive fractured both thumbs and ankles. I've had meniscus surgery on my left knee and my right knee is in constant pain now and in need of it as well. I constantly have aches and pains everywhere and I honestly don't know why I keep coming back sometimes.

15. Optamix

Optamix New Member

After sitting in the locker room puking after one of my fights I kept asking my coach why I keep doing this to my self.

He told me because I'm not good at anything else :hs:

16. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

17. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Touch Pro: XV6850 Opera/9.50 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en))

they are called combat sports for a reason. while your abily to absorb/redirect damage grows over time there will ALWAYS be bumps, bangs, and bruises.

18. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Combat sports hurt sometimes /thread.

19. BoypussY

BoypussY game over.

make sure you don't break a nail

20. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

dude, not cool. broken nails are motherfuckers to fix

21. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

I thought the judo beginners go over how to fall

22. Optamix

Optamix New Member

They do, but saying their is a "proper" way to fall is like saying their is a "proper" way to wreck a car, take a punch, or get kicked in the face. You can do something to lessen the impact, but your still getting slammed on the floor.

23. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

Judo guys get hurt more than any other martial artists I know. That said, my left knee, right shoulder and left big toe usually hurt by the end of the day no matter what.

24. kilian

kilian You've got quite a treasure there in that Horadric OT Supporter

Tim have you ever trained in Judo?

I don't recall you having mentioned that.

As someone who did it for a long time and competed threadstarter, I can tell you that yes, it does get easier.

The whole concept, as they should have explained to you, is that there is an uke and a tori (partner and thrower essentially).

when you are just learning, you may have to be thrown by some inexperienced tori's, and you yourself will be an inexperienced uke. You will fall incorrectly, and they will throw incorrectly, and yes, you may get bumps and bruises. However, as you and they both learn, the throws will be more and more efficient, leading to better experiences and less hurts for both of you.

Focus on going slowly and in control at first. Don't follow your instinct to just "bail" out of a throw if the tori is doing it wrong, use your body to actively position him correctly and guide your own body through his throw, however poor it may be.

I would suggest sticking with it, it is a great sport, and Tim characterization of aged judokas is incredibly incorrect and pretty ridiculous.

My coach of 60 years old (this was 10 years ago) actively practiced judo and wrestling when coaching both sports, and ran marathons and biked centuries. He could probably out grapple most people on this forum, so to make a generalization like that is just stupid.

25. Yossarian

Yossarian OT Supporter

Cheers. I really appreciate your input. What you said makes sense and it was pretty much what I expected. I can't promise I'll stick with it, it would be stupid not to try out other things too. We're all different and different styles suit different people. But I'll definitely continue with Judo for a while longer. Theres no law against doing a few different ones at the same time until I figure it out.