Help. A fat loss question.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by HopHead, Jan 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HopHead

HopHead OT Supporter

Hi, this is my first time posting on this section of OT. My new years resolution is to lose 20 pounts (hopefully mostly of fat). I'm 5 feet 9 inches, 180 lbs, 23% body fat. I'm a heavy drinker and I attribute much of my weight gain to that, but also my eating habits went to shit during college.

This is basically my routine:

Day 1: Back/Biceps - 40 minuts of cardio - abs
    Day 2: Ches/Triceps - 40 minuts of cardio - abs
    Day 3: Legs/Shoulders - 40 minuts of cardio - abs
    Day 4: Rest

Then I repeat. I'm going light on weights.

I guess my question is this: I'm keeping my diet under 2000 calories for 6 days a week with no drinking. I heard its okay to eat bad one day a week and drink one day a week. Is this true? Will I still be able to lose body fat weekly If I eat well 6 days a week but eat/drink bad one day? Also, what is the correct proportion of fat/carbs/protein I want? I'm shooting for 15% fat, 50% carbs, 35% protein. Also, I'm not concerned about muscle gain right now.

2. jonno

jonno New Member

i would not eat like shit for an entire day. have a cheat meal once a week, sure. but dont just go nuts 1 whole day

3. HopHead

HopHead OT Supporter

Okay, what if I have one cheat meal and then drink that night?

4. jonno

jonno New Member

i'd personally try to eliminate drinking 100%. but if you must go for it. the thing about drinking is not only do you get the calories and negative effects of alcohol. but usually when i drink i don't give a shit about my diet and i'll eat everything in sight.

5. HopHead

HopHead OT Supporter

What do you think about 15% fat, 50% carbs, 35% protein?

6. jonno

jonno New Member

probably fine as long as calories are in check.. i dont think youll be satisfied with only losing 20lbs if you're at 23% BF now though

7. HopHead

HopHead OT Supporter

Maybe not, but its a start. I entered college 155 lbs, 14% bf I think. I just need to lose some fucking weight.

8. Phantom Empress

Phantom Empress mmmmmm tasty!!!

cut the drinking. sooooo many empty stupid calories. at least for the first few weeks and then do it only once a week if you must. it'll help you get to your goal a lot faster and you'll save money!

9. qwop

qwop underground pirate OT Supporter

If you can't skip the drinking altogether, move to spirits instead of beer - calorie wise it's worth it. (And if you have a mixer, add diet coke/tonic, not regular.)

JD ftw.

College is tough on the not drinking aspect, but I gave up for around 8 months last year. Felt the benefit, tbh although I did miss the feeling.

10. HopHead

HopHead OT Supporter

I know I need to cut the drinking, i don't know if I can cut it altogether though (as sad as that sounds). I'll just sip tequila, thats about as low calorie as alcohol gets. Have you guys heard of alcohol carbs? Tequila has 70 calories per ounce but no fat/carbs/protein. Someone told me it has alcohol carbs though...is this true and if so what are they?

11. turbage

turbage New Member

Learn some organic chemistry.

Alcohols != Carbohydrates

12. HopHead

HopHead OT Supporter

That might be true but tequila is distilled with blue agave, which might have carbs. I have no idea but you really didn't answer my question.

13. toconnx

toconnx New Member

For hard liquor, the carbs really aren't that big of a deal in proportion to the calories you'll be taking in from the alcohol content. Most shots of hard stuff don't have more than a few grams of carbs as far as i know..

14. turbage

turbage New Member

Really general answer to the Carb = Alcohol question:

Carbs have a certain CHO ratio that makes the body able to metabolize them in a certain way. Alcohols (in human case, ethanol) doesn't have that ratio, so the body metabolizes them differently.

Now, tequila is a solution of [ethanol + (x)]. x is what makes it taste like tequila, ethanol...well we all know what that does. The x might (and most likely does) contain a solution of carbs, protein, etc...

Cliffs: Ethanol is not a carbohydrate.

15. Asgard

Asgard New Member

Hmmm, I'll drink heavy maybe once every two weeks if that, more like once a month. Beyond that, maybe a beer a week. But when I have a night where I go out drinking, I generally dont eat first. I dont plan it that way, it just happens. So all my calories for the day come from alcohol. So 2,000 calories would be like.....16 beers. And after 16 beers, I dont feel much like eating the next day. Just water. :eek3:

I went on a two week alcohol binge my last weeks of college and didnt eat much. I actually lost weight.

16. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Way to go man, that's a great diet right there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.