Hellp: Pricing opinions on 2 computers

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Vermincelli, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

I have been out of the computer loop for awhile so need some help on the resell value of 2 computers.

I have 2 Dells.

1 is a 5150 Desktop.
    2.8ghz dual core
    1gb ram
    160gb sata drive
    DVD/RW drive
    Radeon 128mb pcie
    56k modem
    intel 10/100
    UltraSharp 2007WFP 20" widescreen flat panel monitor
    I got it about 6 months ago, put it on the desk. Used it for about 2 hours and never touched it again. I use the laptop instead.

2nd one is a Dell 8600 Inspiron laptop
    1.7ghz centrino
    1.25mb ram
    32mb ATI video
    80gb hd
    DVD/RW drive
    swappable floppy disk drive
    15.4" widescreen
    Been using it for simple surfing and text messaging.

I have decided that I want a bit more powerful laptop with a 17" screen that can handle games so thinking of selling both off. What would be going prices for both of these?

2. 7960

7960 New Member

realistic prices... in other words prices you'd get on ebay/craigslist

pc = $500, *maybe* $600 if you find someone who's impressed by the 20" screen
    laptop = $550, *maybe $600 if you find someone who'll appreciate the extra RAM

increase each by $50 if they're still under factory warranty or a store-bought service plan.

3. Strife

Strife Active Member

I'm thinking way less than $550 for that laptop.. laptops are cheap nowadays, but i dunno, just from what I've been seeing.

4. Create

Create :free at last:

Seconded, but maybe bump the laptop down $50-$75.

5. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

thanks. I just don't find a reason to have a desktop anymore so might as well get a better laptop.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Desktop computers are starting to bother me. I might get a laptop as my next machine, if for no other reason than to conserve power.

(My current box is an Athlon XP 3000 with 3 Raptor HDDs. I'm a disgusting pig.)

7. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Bah! How many other resources do you squander in your life?
    I bet none.

Compared to the wealthy with 10k square foot homes, people who own multiple suv's, companies that are careless about utility useage,
    people with fixed heating bills that leave a window open because they can,
    the entire lack of decent recycling in this country, people that could carpool that don't, etc etc etc.

Besides, I have 3 10k drives too, and I don't wanna feel guilty, so shut your yap. :fawk:

8. 7960

7960 New Member

I'd keep the 20" widescreen and sell the rest, then buy a better laptop and use the widescreen as a 2nd monitor... that function is built into XP in case you didn't know.

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Well...

I work for a company that doesn't recycle paper, and literally everybody got pissed off at me for setting the printer to print 2-sided by default. I drive to work in a four-door sedan, by myself, at 80mph, 30 miles a day. I manage two racks of outdated servers and about 10 huge workstations, with 4 15k SCSI drives apiece, that stay on 24/7 so people around the world can connect to them remotely.

Then again, I recycle all of my plastic, paper, glass, and metal at home (or at least they say it's getting recycled), so I only muster a big bag of garbage once a month, and all my utilities (except electricity) are gas-fueled, and most of my house is lit with nightlights except those rooms that I'm actually occupying.

So I guess my work is wasteful and my private life is conservative. Dammit, the thing about the two-sided printing still pisses me off -- those people are all normal people, but when they go to work they just stop caring about anything.

10. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Well, scored a deal last night. Traded a guy straight across my Dell desktop w/ monitor for a Dell 9300 Inspiron laptop w/case and 120gb external drive because he wanted something that was "upgradeable like a desktop". Not too shabby. It still has 6 months left on the factory warranty too

Yea, I included the 20" in that. Reason was that Dell has the 22" on sale for $295 so when ready to add on a 2nd monitor, I will grab one of those.

Only thing I wish it had was a 256mb video instead of the ATI X300 128mb, but at least that is an upgradeable part. Anyone have an Nvidia 6800 or 7800 for a 9300 laying around? :)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2007