GUN Hello from AUS - what bolt action rifle should I buy?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by merlin, Aug 6, 2008.

1. merlin

merlin OT Supporter

I'm a noob from Australia - only just got my firearms license - I have read the first 12 pages of this sub-forum and damn I'm jelous of your freedoms over there. It took me about 3 months and $300 to get my license and now have to wait at least another 3 months to purchase a rifle (once I decide what I want)...also we are not allowed semi/fully-automatic rifles but can get non-self loading rimfire and centrerifle rifles in any calibre with a maximum 10 round magazine.

So I want to buy a bolt action centrefire rifle - I like the Remington 700 SPS Tactical and the Steyr Scout. How does OT rate these rifles? I'm not sure on your pricing in USA but in AUS the Remington 700 is roughly $1200 without a scope and the Steyr is roughly $2500 without a scope. Our dollar is pretty close to yours at the moment. So if we're talking budgets I'd say I'm prepared to spend up to $3000 AU on a rifle and scope.

Second question is which calibre to go - once again have narrowed it down to .223 or .308. Both of these seem fairly common and easy to get in AUS also its my understanding that the .223 is equivalent to 5.56mm NATO round and .308 is equivalent to 7.62mm military round - I would like the gun to be able to fire military rounds as you can then pick up surplus ammo cheap. Obviously the .308 will shoot further but it is also more expensive and the recoil would be higher. The .223 is cheaper, lighter and less recoil but also less range and not sure what it would take down.

Rifle iwould be primarily used for target shooting on indoor/outdoor ranges and I'm licensed to go hunting on anything over 5 acres. Potentially this would mean rabbits, deer, kangaroos, pigs.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Hooligan

Hooligan New Member

And we're pissed at our freedoms being infringed upon by an overgrown govt. :rofl: Perspective is interesting.

I don't know anything about guns, so sorry on that front.

3. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i want to hunt a fucking kangaroo

4. The caliber selection really depends on what you want to do. If you're shooting varmints and targets at 200 yards or less for the most part, you'd probably be better off with the .223. If you're looking to take deer with it or shoot regularly past 200 yards, you'll probably be happier with the .308. Also, the .223 is similar to the 5.56, but not the same. The 5.56 is loaded to higher pressures. As long as the rifle is said to allow 5.56 you'll be fine with either that or the .223.

On the topic of the gun, of the 2 choices you've listed I'd probably take the Rem 700. That sucks that it's $1200 over there, as its MSRP here is $681. There's really no need to go out and spend $2500 on the Steyr if your total budget is $3000. You'll definitely want to spend more than $500 on an optic. I'm sure you'll find that a Rem 700 and a nice scope is a far better use of your money than the Steyr and a cheap scope.

5. merlin

merlin OT Supporter

Hi, thanks for the advice. How do you tell if the rifle allows the use of military grade ammo (higher pressures) - is this what "heavy barreling" means. Yes I am fairly clueless at the moment...

Also in regards to calibre I want to shoot longer distances as I like the idea of it being a challenging hobby (if that makes sense).

6. Remington only lists it as chambered in .223. I did a quick search and found a few forum discussions where people say they fire 5.56 in it without problems. I guess the easiest thing to do would be to check with Remington.

That said, if you're looking to shoot longer distances, just get the .308. I know you CAN shoot longer distances (400 yards) with the .223, but there's really no advantage other than cost over the .308 at long range.

7. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

What a great fucking idea!!! IN!

How big are they anyways, would a deer rifle take them down?

8. Keesh

Keesh New Member

The rifle should be stamped 5.56.

Heavy barrels are meant for increased accuracy. I like the Remington 700, it's cheaper, more options to upgrade and you can spend the money you saved on a nice scope.

9. merlin

merlin OT Supporter

Roughly 5 foot to 7 foot tall - Professional kangaroo cullers (they often need to be culled in Aus as too many) use a helicopter and .223

10. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Won't kangaroos eventually associate the sound of heli to their death?

11. merlin

merlin OT Supporter

Yeah I am leaning towards the Remington 700 for those reasons - more than half the price of the Steyr and heaps of upgrade bits and pieces you can buy easily off the shelf. The SPS Tacital has a 20" barrel though, will this effect accuracy much? I think the standard rifle has a 26" barrel.

Guess its just a matter of choosing a calibre...

12. merlin

merlin OT Supporter

I guess so but they graze in open grasslands and by the time they hear it they dont really have any cover/anywhere to go.

13. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Remington 700, lightweight contour if you plan on moving with it. Consider ditching the factory stock (they nearly always suck), bed it, and tweak the trigger.

I'm not up on kangaroo anatomy, but I take down deer with my 223's, so I doubt it would be a problem. 53gr Barnes TSX is what I run/recomend, but I have no ideal about the availability of them in OZ. Cor-Bon loads them factory.

14. H. Birdman

H. Birdman New Member

i'd reccommend the .223 for what you want, cheaper and it wont blow the entire top half of the kangaroo off. have you thought of something smaller for the range like a .22 or a .17 and then a .223 as well for hunting or would that be too expensive?
    where abouts in Aus are you from?

15. H. Birdman

H. Birdman New Member

i've seen pictures of what a .308 does to a kangaroo, it's not pretty :mamoru: and .22s are GREAT fun for shooting rabbits and birds and so on.

16. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

shoot it in the belly so you get the mom and the baby - or whatever the fuck kangaroo children are called

17. Joeys.

18. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

thanks.

19. merlin

merlin OT Supporter

I'm from Sydney - hadn't really thought of a .22 for the range they seem pretty cheap so I could potentially have both I guess. Not really planning on going hunting much just don't want to limit myself if I change my mind down the track.

.223 should be adequate for most of my needs then,I think wild boars are the only thing I would come across that would require something bigger perhaps...I was more concerned about the range of the projectile - i.e. worried a 223 wont shoot far enough for me.

20. Hooligan

Hooligan New Member

:rofl:

Nobody's shocked, we just want everyone to use the right terminology.

21. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

and if the mom still lives, walk over and do a terminator skull crush on her bitch ass

22. Keesh

Keesh New Member

:bowrofl:

23. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i was seriously googling for like 5 minutes trying to find that fucking screen cap. no luck :hs:

24. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

Of the two rifles you mentioned, I would go with the Remington 700. It's a solid rifle, and it's cheaper so you're going to have more to spend on a nice scope and lots of ammo.

What caliber you're going to want depends on what you will be doing with it most. If it's going to be primarily for target shooting, go with .223 as it's probably going to be cheaper and it can still handle small to mid-sized game quite well. If you're going to be hunting larger game, like deer, often you may want to go with the .308 as it will do the job much more efficiently (unless you don't mind shooting them in the head, then the .223 would be good for most anything).

25. SNDP

SNDP New Member

(remmy700>*) for a new starter bolt action.

I would be fine with a .223. My next bolt gun will be a remmy 700 VLS in .223.