Hello Fitness and Nutrition forum

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Emfuser, May 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

:hsugh:

I have recently begun training enough to make a real routine out of my workouts and endurance training.

Let me explain.

I'm a fencer. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fencing) More specifically, I'm a foilist. I fence a fast weapon that requires significant agility, dexterity, and burst energy to be "good" at what I do. The ability to change directions, at fairly fast speeds, in less than a second and rapid (but controlled) acceleration, all while keeping my body loose are things I seek to improve. If you think for a second that this is a fag sport with uptight people trying to look fancy then you're thinking of fencing close to 100 years ago. Today sport fencing requires significant athleticism to be good at.

I have been doing fencing and fencing specific training regularly for just a few nights a week for several years. I'm just now increasing to practicing 4 nights a week 2-3 hours at a time, and I'm working in some conditioning for 3 days a week. I aim to permanently include strength training (will mostly be machines, it's just what I'm limited to :hs: ), endurance training, and high-intensity interval/footwork training. My strength training is primarily lower weight, higher rep rounds on the machines because that's the sort of training I was taught for my particular sport.

My goal is to increase my overall fitness (which is already good, in a general sense), increase my body mass (I'm at about ~145-150 lbs, 10% or less body fat), and thereby increase my fencing abilities. The last time I was on a routine I was at about 165 and was a bit more bulky. I aim to get back to that.

Where I'm at (summary):
    Practicing M-Th (10 hrs a week)
    Cycling on weekends (~1-2 hrs)

Beginning today(M-W-F):
    Running/jogging after work (M-W-F)
    Weights after

My weekdays are maxed out. I do not have time to add anything else there as my weekly routine already costs me sleep during the week that I recover on weekends.

I'm weak on the machines weights again so I know I'll see the quickest improvement (and plateau) there first. I still have whey and creatine left over from the last time I did this will be slowly reintroducing them into my diet. One of my biggest peeves right now is the eating. I'm not a big eater so intaking the necessary calories for the bulking and the endurance training is unpleasant. :hs:

Thoughts/questions/suggestions?

2. Layman

Layman New Member

Eat more.

Drop running.

Lift weights.

If you want to gain mass, there's no real need to run, but there is a need to lift hard and consistently.

3. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

I'd hit the weights first if gaining strength and size is a priority for you or split up the session (run AM, lift PM). You just have to force yourself to eat, if you arent a big eater. Lots of small meals every day - find a way to get the nutrition in. Track your intake (www.fitday.com)

4. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

Cutting back on the running isnt a bad idea. Focus your energy on plyos and other means of GPP (sprints, running stairs, pull a sled, etc)

5. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

What's your time frame?

If you need to build some muscle quickly, yeah, drop the running for now. If you just want to start progressing your strength at a moderate pace, you could do a clean bulk, which would be a light calorie increase of good foods plus lifting weights, while still doing cardio. :dunno:

6. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

i wish i wasn't a big eater... but i fucking love to eat!

what maine said... more lifting, more eating

7. Emfuser

Look at this this way: I'm not in here just to gain muscle mass and physique. I'm training for an athletic activity that requires endurance training. Running gets me something different than the cycling.

8. Emfuser

It's long-term. I don't have a window.

Thanks for that pointer. :)

9. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

You could keep whatever light-sized diet you're on right now and still build decent muscle. All you have to do is make sure you work out whatever muscles you're doing each day to near-exhaustion and consume (drink) protein RIGHT afterwards. My current routine is:

- do a warm up lift
    - go to the kitchen
    - mix 1 scoop of banana Muscle Milk + 1 scoop of vanilla OnWhey + 1 teaspoon of Creatine + 1 glass size of water (all in plastic bottle)
    - shake it and put it in the freezer
    - workout for about 20 to 30 minutes
    - have a chilled protein drink and cigarette for dessert :o

10. Layman

Layman New Member

But you participate in that activity for 10 hours a week. You don't need an auxilary activity to enhance your capabilities toward that end.

Do you think Lance Armstrong jogged to get in shape for the Tour?

IMO, with a little bit of additional cardio, you'll be fine. But if you don't drop SOMETHING and start concentrating on weights and eating and sleeping, you'll never see the gains you're seeking.

11. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

i like how you say you are a fencer and then immediately use the rest of the paragraph to defend being a fencer.

people give you a hard time?

12. Emfuser

You'd think that's the case, but I do indeed have to do additional cardio. It's used as a means of conditioning myself to have increased endurance rather than the rather static one I have now.

Trust me, I used to think the same thing as what you wrote but I've learned the hard way (and also been berated by my coach) that additional, more intense cardio is needed.

I won't be doing any significant amount of running, but it will be enough to give me a stronger aerobic (I think it's aerobic :o ) endurance than I currently have.
    :hs:

13. Emfuser

Yeah. Lots of people have a preconceived notion that it's not athletic at all. Sport fencing today is intense; which is why I have to train harder.

14. ralyks

ralyks New Member

BAN

15. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

[​IMG]

16. Layman

Layman New Member

Fair enough.

What about cutting it back a little? I mean, instead of 3 days a week and cycling for 2 hours on the weekend, perhaps you can halve that?

I dunno. I see a crapload of activity in an admittedly busy schedule - something is bound to give. I'm just trying to identify the pereferal activities that can be sacrificed.

How long does a fencing match last, anyhow?

17. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

I would just switch the running to after the weights, and eat more to compensate for all the calories you're going to be burning.

18. Layman

Layman New Member

Also, what are the most essential muscle groups used in fencing?

19. Jam_Master_J

Jam_Master_J New Member

you are a joke.

20. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Legs and core.

Em, I think cavefish's suggestion is pretty spot on. A lot of the MMA guys I know on other boards still keep up other cardio and lifting in addition to their preferred sport.

You probably don't need to run and lift weights each on the same day as practice. I would leave double days like that for the days you aren't seriously practicing. Plus, you seriously need your sleep. Don't cut yourself short.

When it comes to the putting on more muscle..it's all about the eating.

21. Layman

Layman New Member

Well, that dovetails nicely with the requirement to gain muscle mass...

22. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

I take whatever the college boys have to say on F&N so theriously. :wtc:

23. uf20wop

uf20wop OT Supporter

the college boys are all stronger and bigger than you :mamoru:

24. GND

GND BBP! OT Supporter

:fawk: ewwwwwwwwww!! Get out!! :squint:

:p j/k :kiss:

Whatchooo wanna know bout some runnin!?!? :wiggle:

25. Mugwump