Hello, F&N - I'm Fat. Please read my story and critique my supps/activities.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Neural, May 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neural

Neural Active Member

At this point, I have a lot of body fat hanging off me in very disgusting fashion. I'm sick of being a slob and have been working on changing it. A month ago, I made a lifestyle change to be healthy for the rest of my life. Diets don't work as they are a temporary fix to a permanent problem. Since that change, I have lost 41 pounds. People are noticing, my clothes are fitting better, (dropped 4 pants sizes and one shirt size) and I feel all-around wonderful. It's fucking addicting, man. It's like a drug that I've never had before. I love the feeling of improving myself.

Even though I am a house, my body is not in that bad of shape. My weight rolled on VERY fast due to a multitude of problems, the biggest one being shear laziness. No excuses. My blood work came back perfect - even the cholesterol is fine which is odd considering you don't become a fat fucker like myself by eating veggies and whole foods. Blood sugars are ok, etc, etc. Even my heart is perfect. I am seizing this time in my life to become healthy so I can live the rest of my years happy instead of a daily struggle to do the things that everybody else can. For fucks sake I want to buy clothes like normal people. :hs:

A little history. I have always been able to gain/lose weight very fast. Throughout high school (ten years ago now - I'm 27 now) I hovered in the 260-280 range at 6'-2". I played a lot of sports - loved basketball, football. Was quite active. Beginning of senior year I weighed 275. I decided to lose weight, so I did. I went from 275 to 209 in about four months. I held that weight for about 4 years. I started to pack weight on in about 2002. I went from 210 to 260 in about two years. From that point, it snowballed something fierce. :( I completely let myself go and just didn't care about anything anymore mostly including myself.

A month ago, I looked at myself in the mirror and realized that I had become what I absolutely hated about other people. I didn't care about myself and it showed. I physically repulsed myself, and made a pact to change my life. I weighed 428lbs. After a month of completely changing my diet and getting off my fat ass and being more active, I weighed in this morning at 387. It's a very small chip knocked off the fat-block, but enough of one to prove to myself that I can and will do this.

:hs:

My morning supplements:
    1 - One A Day Multivitamin
    1 - Extended Release B12
    1 - Complex B Vitamin
    1 - (1000mg) Fish Oil
    1 - (600mg) Calcium Supp

My midday supplements:
    1 - Fish Oil

My evening supplements:
    1 - Fish Oil

What should I add/delete?

My diet consists of no processed foods and tons of chicken, no-fat cottage cheese, tuna, veggies, whole grains, 64oz water. (no soda, juice, coffee, etc) I eat the majority of my calories in the morning to keep some energy for the day. I started the ER B12 vitamin about two weeks ago and it helps immensely.

As far as my activities go, it's very hard for me to do a lot of strenuous work because of my size. I do a lot of cardio on the treadmill. (trying for 2 miles a day - that was very difficult at first, but it's getting easier the more weight comes off) I've also been doing a ton of landscaping on my house the last week or so and that has really helped rebuild some muscles that I long forgot about. :hs: Obviously the smaller I get, the more in-depth stuff I can and will do.

Sorry it's so long. Thanks for reading, and don't go too harsh on me. :hs:

2. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

You don't need to avoid coffee or tea, or even worry about supps that much except maybe for fish oil.
    If you have the dinero, I would even consider a psychologist, especially someone who is specialized in eating disorders.

3. Neural

Neural Active Member

I've been to one a couple times, and talked a lot about why I got the way I did and how I simply let myself go. It actually helped a lot.

One of the reasons for my vitamins and whatnot is because when you go from 5,000 to 6,000 calories a day to simply maintain your weight to taking in under 2,000, your energy is completely sapped.

4. Neural

Neural Active Member

Oh, and I just got a gym membership.

5. noogles

noogles OT Supporter

good luck

6. v12oom

v12oom OT Supporter

drink more water

7. Neural

Neural Active Member

Should I double what I have been drinking? How much more?

8. Plan B

Plan B New Member

doubling it sounds good, you can't really have too much

i drink 128 - 256 ounces a day :dunno:

9. Plan B

Plan B New Member

how many calories are you eating per day? track it on fitday for a few days

i suggest lifting as well as cardio, not just cardio...

10. Neural

Neural Active Member

I will double my water intake.

I average between 1500-2000 calories per day. Almost always on the lower end of that spectrum, though. From the various calculators that I have come across, they have stated my calorie intake to maintain to be anywhere from 3900 to 6000 per day. Not really sure what to believe at this point.

I did get a gym membership and I have a meeting with a personal trainer to help get my weight lifting down as well as my cardio. I have a fair amount of muscle already (most fatty's do) so I don't want to lose that, hence my high protein intake.

Edit - Oh, and I've been on fitday for about a month, but space on adding everything into there for food every day. I will get back on track.

11. kilian

kilian You've got quite a treasure there in that Horadric OT Supporter

I'm no expert, but 1500-2000 sounds way too low.

Your body will definitely be going into starvation at that calorie amount if you weigh 387 pounds.

Maintenance for a guy is what? 16 cals/lb? So roughly 6k to maintain 387.

I'm not sure because I was never that heavy, but I did around those calories (1500-2000) starting from almost 120 pounds lighter than you (260) and eating so little had a hugely adverse effect on my body.

Reconsider the suicide drop method, otherwise good luck and good work so far.

Your diet looks fine make up wise, just figure out a more rational cutting diet #'s wise

12. Neural

Neural Active Member

Thanks for all the responses so far. :)

I'm thinking my caloric intake is too little, but one huge mental roadblock to get over, for me, is the whole eating feels like cheating thing. I have no problems eating healthy, the portion control is the thing that I always struggled with but finally seemed to have curtailed for the first time in my life. That, by far, will be the most difficult thing for me. Something in my cocktail of vitamins seems to help with the cravings though.

Man, if I really need 6k calories to maintain my current level of fatness, then a healthy cut would be to around 4k calories? Man that seems like a lot still. :o

13. kilian

kilian You've got quite a treasure there in that Horadric OT Supporter

You need to eat to maintain whatever muscle you have.

Suicide drops = muscles go bye bye.

That does not look good when you cut down, especially if you have loose skin like you probably will.

Consider doing around 4k to start.

Consider that 4000 calories/day = maintenance for a 250 pound person.

14. Drilldo

Drilldo Active Member

If you can get in the gym and stay there, you're going to see tremendous results. I used to be 350lbs myself and have lost > 100lbs while getting my strength up to a respectable level through clean eating, a legit weight program and cardio.

15. keeler

keeler New Member

seems like you have your things together and your losing weight. I would up the calories to 2500 but not 3k+, besides that everything looks good. as you become smaller try out new activities you weren't capable of before.
    just remember, everyones body is different, learn to listen to what its telling you.

16. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

maintenance depends on the amount of muscle mass though remember, not fat mass.

Anyone recommending you eat over 2500 calories a day is a moron.

17. NUDES

NUDES New Member

the number calculators are all full of shit on the net imo. 4,000 to maintain at 250? i wish.. maybe for those that have a real fast metabolism. want to know your maintenence? eat the same amount of cals per day for a week, check weight, if it goes up, you're eating too much, adjust until you hit maint.

i weigh 290 train 5 days a week do cardio 4 days a week and maintain weight at aroudn 3200-3300. cavefish, gogzilla, even mainesucks all in the same boat give or take a few hundred calories.

18. NUDES

NUDES New Member

also incorrect, while fat is not a metabolically active tissue it still requires calories to maintain and muscle does not require much more to maintain. the ever so internet popular 50cals per lb of muscle has been proven wrong by studies, actual number came close to 8-11 cals per lb of muscle if i remember right. that isn't shit.

19. Kotu

Kotu OT Supporter

Do weight training.

Keep doing cardio.

1500-2000 cals is way too little. Rome wasn't built in one day. You need to at least double that. Don't try to lose 200 pounds in a month. Slow and steady wins the race.

Don't weigh yourself everyday. Every week or so is fine. If you didn't lose weight during a week, lower the calories a little bit. Remember to weight yourself at the same time because your weight fluctuates during the day. Best is probably to do it in the morning, after peeing, before eating.

Drink a lot of water. If you're hungry all the time, drink water. Water will make you feel more full.

Keep track of your calories so that you don't accidentally eat more than you were supposed to.

If you like vegetables, you could consider eating those as snacks as they are healthy, don't have that many calories and make you feel more full.

Feel free to tell people about how you're doing and what your goals are. When people know, you're gonna feel like a failure if you quit because you'll know that everyone will know you failed. Bit of outside pressure can always help.

20. Kotu

Kotu OT Supporter

I think 2500 is about maintenance for me @ 165. He weighs 222 pounds more than I do. I'm pretty sure he can eat more than 2500.

21. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

yeah but he's trying to lose a substantial amount of weight.

22. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

nooooooooooooooo

23. keeler

keeler New Member

they're all gonna laugh at you!

24. Kotu

Kotu OT Supporter

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  25. jonno

jonno New Member

werd. i'm 200lbs and maintain around 2000-2200 cals/day. but we are all fatties so....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.