Hellgate London - Giving it another go

Discussion in 'Online Adventures' started by Koltas, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Koltas

Koltas OT Supporter

Reposted this here since you ngas are like family. Cliffs in bold.

I played this game in beta and wrote it off for a few reasons:

1) Lack of stability - raging ping and annoying crash bugs.
    2) A resource hog that didn't look that great, considering it was a "next-gen" game.
    3) Repetitive gameplay and levels, not nearly enough content.

BUT... Since we've been starved lately of online action/RPGs to play, the GF and I picked up Hellgate: London on Tuesday morning and have been playing it non-stop since then. It seems that a year after release, they finally fixed nearly all the problems they ran into after the beta and initial launch.

No more stability issues... I have not crashed or had bad latency ONCE since I started playing it again.

They apparently did an overhaul of the graphics, because now I've got amazing and detailed graphics (dx10 included) that don't bog down my computer and make it seem like I'm trying to run Crysis. This game is gorgeous, in a post-apocalyptic demon filled kind of way.

The game itself is fairly repetitive (similar to Diablo 2), but they made the gameplay fun enough and action oriented enough that it doesn't seem nearly as 'grindish' as it did before. It's actually fun. Different quests, new zones, completely different gear, re-done content, gameplay tweaks, etc.

I'm not sure how long this game will hold my interest for, or what other games are simply better to play... But for those starved of RPG/Action type games, I'd recommend picking this up. Flagship Studios does an incredible job of listening to the customer base in regards to changes that get implemented, and it definitely shows. There's also a new game-changing patch coming up soon with tons of changes and additional content.

The game is x10 more fun when playing with a buddy, so if you want to contact me ingame I'm on the Shul'goth server, character name is Kolter.

2. Aladdin Sane

Aladdin Sane Guest

Don't, I gave it another go a few months ago and beat it. Disappointed through and through.

3. Koltas

Koltas OT Supporter

Lvl 25 atm and still having fun. :dunno: I really don't think I would play this game if I didn't have someone to play with, though.

4. Short Round

Short Round New Member

I tried to get back into once.... kind of boring.

5. sleev

sleev It's sleep, life, and death It's speed, coke, and

got shitty reviews

6. tibbar

tibbar aww fennec foxah aww

The world is just a little too bland. If there were areas that weren't just gray London it would enhance the experience a bit. Too much gray?

7. Koltas

Koltas OT Supporter

I'll agree a little bit. They could've added a couple unique looking places... Which they did, actually, but it's only available to subscribers atm.

Also, that's why I don't agree with the people who claim the art direction of diablo 3 is wrong because EVERYTHING isn't saturated with grey textures. You can't have everything look exactly the same or it gets bland.

8. Japan Four

Japan Four Guest

its fun for what its worth.

9. Daria

Daria New Member

I beat it on normal, but I still have not done Stonehenge. I play to beat it on Nightmare and Hell one day. I gave it another go last month, and I kept having this graphical glitch where sometimes the room would turn black and I couldn't even see the monsters. I was a little irritated with that. Then the Personal Recall Device didn't work....those are pretty retarded bugs for a game that's been out as long as Hellgate has. I was pretty pissed and stopped playing. Regardless, I would like to finish the game with my Engineer on Hell. I love the Engineer class.