GUN Held a few different .45's today to determine what i want

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Pineapple Devil, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

glock 30 - loved it
    glock 36
    hk .45c v1- loved it
    hk uspc
    xdm
    4" in kimber, sig, s&w, taurus, and sa

i think i'm going to buy a glock 30. feels really close to my 19 and for the price i dont think it can be beat. its going to be a new carry gun

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Why switch from 9mm to .45? Not hating, just curious.

3. AB13

AB13 New Member

The XDm is only offered in .40.

4. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Get the Pearce mag bases for the 10 rounders on the Glock, it adds the third finger groove and they look factory. G30 one of my daily carry guns also.

5. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

you're right. i held it but it was a .40

6. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

more damage. working on patients that come in after shootings has made me think more about it. i want the biggest round i can get that i can shoot accurately and conceal nicely i guess

7. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

the one i held had a pinky grip on it and i do like it. i wouldnt be able to hold it if it didnt. i used to have a 26 and had 1 mag w/o the pink and 1 mag with it. had nowhere to put my pinky on the mag w/o it.

i'll look into one of the local ranges and see if they have one to rent

8. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

with modern ballistics, there is barely a difference between 9mm, .40 and .45 :hsugh:

9. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

lol....yeah, theres hardly a difference between 9mm and .45

even with this chart its close to twice the whole. between .40 and .45.....not too much difference but 9 to .45....yeah

[​IMG]

10. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

You're aware that what you're describing as twice the hole isn't hole at all but temporary cavitation, something largely regarded to be irrelvant as far as handgun wounding goes. The size of the hole is the size of the bullet or smaller. http://www.firearmstactical.com/hwfe.htm is a good starter read for terminal ballistics and will help you understand what it is you're looking at.

11. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

+P 9mm would change that. the whole "bigger = better" is in reference to when all bullets were FMJs. with modern hollowpoints (read: +P), its pretty similar

edit: and yeah, temp wound cavity doesnt mean shit :hsugh:

12. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

I can has temporary wound cavities?

edit: fuck beaten

13. Keesh

Keesh New Member

+1 to what Soybomb said and I'll add that an additional benifit of 9mm is you get almost double the magazine capacity as .45, there's no magic bullet and nobody shoots perfect under stress, I'd like as many chances as I can get.

14. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If you liked the 30 get a 29.
    [​IMG]

15. johnson

johnson New Member

That's temporary cavity, not permanent.

16. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

M&P45 is FTW. Srsly.

17. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

I shot an HK45c a week ago, it is actually a really nice gun. The gun is profiled like a 1911, much slimmer. The DA trigger is really smooth and not heavy unlike the USP. I was very impressed with it.

18. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

so doesnt it make sense to use the larger of the two?

and so you're saying the .45 isnt going to make anymore damage? is it not common sense that expansion done the way its supposed to on both bullets, the larger object is going to make the larger hole?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  19. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I'm saying read the material thats out there and make your own educated decision. ;) There's too much advertising from the ammo companies and crappy opinions from other people to try any individuals opinion.

That said my own crappy opinion is that the differences between the major service calibers are so small that I wouldn't make any decision based on them. Its like deciding which is healthier a 200 calorie soda or a 195 calorie soda. Close enough, drink which ever you like. I would pick the caliber based on the platform/size I wanted, whichever caliber I shot the best, any capacity needs I felt were relevant, and my financial ability to afford to practice with it. The difference between a 9mm and a .45 probably won't be the difference in winning the fight. It might be the difference between affording to practice or the gun of your choice working reliably.

Again, its a question of is it bigger enough to be significant. I don't think that .10" is going to be the difference. Ymmv.
    [​IMG]

20. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I don't believe it behaves the way you're thinking.
    The idea of remote central nervous system damage they way I think you're picturing it is one proposed by Michael Courtney who in my opinion is a first rate wack-a-doo.
    Mr. Courtney posted some of his theory here http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bin/tacticalubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=78;t=001461#000005 and was asked by Dr. Roberts to provide a "MRI depicting brain injuries from pressure waves resulting from a shot to the chest." He of course provided nothing of the sort. Read it if you're interested.

Mr. Courtney has killed 2 deer at once 4 times http://groups.google.com/group/rec....q=michael+courtney+dogs+ohio#8c0958d7613adf57

God has been quite involved with his eventual marriage speaking to him, his wife, and many others http://groups.google.com/group/alt.usenet.kooks/msg/50d38a25eb99e5b3?&q=michael+courtney

He believes himself to be a prophet and says that a dragon is going to rip apart pregnant women to punish the US for abortion http://groups.google.com/group/alt.atheism/msg/bf62c9a9039bcc15

You be the judge of who is the scientist and putting out quality work ;)