Height: 5'6", Weight: 150lb, Max bench press: 200lbs, is this impressive?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Mytur Binesderty, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mytur Binesderty

Mytur Binesderty New Member

for someone with those numbers, is that an impressive feat?

2. doboi

doboi New Member

for a child

3. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

nope

1.5x bodyweight is standard for the average gymrat. 2x bodyweight and it starts to get impressive.

4. terse

terse New Member

5. Mr. Fishtaco

Mr. Fishtaco New Member

maybe for a girl

6. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

I'm 5'5" 152 Max bench 245.

7. ACLdestroyer

ACLdestroyer OT Supporter

Not at all.

8. planeh

planeh Guest

I'm going to go ahead and wonder how many people that say its not impressive, can't actually do it themselves.

I can bench press over 200lbs, but I'm also over 200lbs myself. I think its irrelevant that its impressive.

9. ACLdestroyer

ACLdestroyer OT Supporter

Wat

10. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

What do you squat

11. CPop

CPop New Member

My younger brother just turned 15, weighs 158lbs and benched 200 with a pause. I consider him just barely over "untrained" status.

12. Lukkie

Lukkie OT Supporter

fuck this i quit :wtc:

13. CPop

CPop New Member

I have been working with him for a while.

When he started he was 210, and benched about 140, this was after a year or so of screwing around with weights at home. He cleaned his diet up, did more cardio, lost fat and got to a 200 bench fairly quickly. His form is much better than the average gym rat, much less accounting for his age.

Anyone could do it given the right form, coaching, and diet. I feel the same way about a 400 bench, although I realize it may take more than some people are willing to give (I'm not talking about drugs though).

14. daballer2005

daballer2005 New Member

5'7 165lbs

[y]c6BPIJ0-QXA[/y]

15. CrackityJones

CrackityJones OT Supporter

I can has recipe for natural 400lb bench? Just consistency and intensity? How many years?

16. planeh

planeh Guest

:rofl:

17. danzaslap66

danzaslap66 New Member

I feel like a failure, been working out consistently for a little over a year now, max on bench is 225x4. Got my deadlift to 405x4 and havent been able to train legs consistently enough due to knee and ankle problems from rugby to post up a squat number. Only problem is im 6'7 225. Barely benching own bodyweight ftl. :ugh:

Edit: but on the good side i did weigh 170 at the end of high school and i just started my sophomore year of college. :hsd:

18. Epik High

Epik High OT Supporter

With that said, i'm the same height and weight and although I rep that amount...am not necessarily impressed that I can do it.

19. Epik High

Epik High OT Supporter

You used to be 6'7 170 pounds?!

20. CPop

CPop New Member

To me, the most important thing I see in a guy that's new to my group is that he listens. That means that he doesn't just nod his head and make his second set look just like the first. If you show up to bench with me I'm going to make you do a bunch of things that are uncomfortable and will make your numbers go down initially. I don't want to hear bitching about it, just fucking do it. The weakest guy in our group just joined and is benching low 300's @ 165lbs. He keeps his mouth shut, pays attention, and is like an open book; willing to learn. He'll bench 365 in a few months barring injuries or other unforseen events.

So my "secrets" to those who want to get stronger is #1, lift with or learn from those who are substantially stronger than you, and embrace what they're doing. I'm not saying to do what I'm doing now if you're a 185lb bencher, but do what I tell you to do.

Likewise, stop thinking that you have a better idea. Half the fucking guys I help out will start out all excited telling me they did extra bench sets with dumbbells like I'm going to be pleased that they have good work ethic. To me it's a bigger deal that you aren't neurotic about it and feel that you have to do 10 billion sets to progress. Don't do more than I tell you to do, don't do less than I tell you to do, and if at any point it occurs to you that you think you could improve... just stop right there and slap yourself, because most guys don't know how to guage that they did enough. Running yourself into the ground is proof to me that you don't know what you're doing. Stimulate, don't annihilate.

Lift fork to mouth. You want to bench 400 naturally? Unless you are something of a freak or content to take a very, very long time to do it, then you're going to have to gain a substantial amount of weight and that will include fat. Kiss your abs good bye. Again, this is for most guys that aren't genetically blessed. There are always the freaks who are 12% no matter what, but I'm not one of them and chances are you aren't either. Eat a lot, especially post workout. If you want to keep things a little more moderate, then eat like a mofo on your heavy training days, all day long, and tighten it up a little on other days. My best weight gains came when I went on a business trip for a month and did nothing other than eat, train, sleep, and work. I had a nice shake post workout, then followed it up with McDonalds, and I wasn't shy either: large milkshake, 2 big macs, fries, and maybe chicken nuggets. I went out to eat dinner a while after that.

The faster you gain weight the more sloppy you'll get. It was hard for me at first when I lost my abs, but I was making such good gains in the gym, it was harder to stop what was working so well. If I had to do it again, I would be more moderate and take my time, because adding a ton of fat isnt' the best thing you could do, but damn did I gain strength fast.

So taht's about it.

1: Listen to those stronger than you.
    2: Train smart and hard, and remember, that means doing the best you can do, not the most you can do.
    3: Eat like you mean it. If you aren't going to enhance, then you'll need more calories and you will gain more fat, end of story.

It was pretty easy for me to reach a 300 raw bench, I did that just by training hard even though I didn't have a clue what I was doing. It took me probably 4-5 years to push that to 400 and that was just figuring out what works. 500 is my next goal and I hope to hit it within a year or year and a half.

I should also point out that I've missed zero workouts in the past 6 years because I didn't feel like going, or was too tired, or didn't have time. You re-schedule them, take a planned deload, or just fucking man up and get it done. No excuses. Everyone always has time.

Hope it helps.

21. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

no not at all. my buddy benched 300 at 155 lbs and he's about that tall. He's never trained legs a day in his life though

22. danzaslap66

danzaslap66 New Member

Well 6'5 maybe a little taller. Finally done growing though so time to get brolic.

23. CrackityJones

CrackityJones OT Supporter

:love: thanks for taking the time to write that my man, even if they're things I've heard before it's helpful to get them reinforced as the major concerns and I'm definitely lacking to some degree on all three.

24. brocephus

brocephus i would unplug cooly's life support to charge my c

a pre-pubescent girl.

25. knucks

knucks Active Member

meh.
    i benched 275 at 165lbs, and that sucks.

now im 185 and benched 315, and that sucks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.