Heavy Rain...Afterthoughts. (played through and want to discuss) *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by hellodon, Mar 2, 2010.

1. hellodon

hellodon

So before I get started here. I'm assuming there could be potential spoilers in here, even for those who have already beaten it. So lets not get too specific with major plot points or endings since there are so many. I didnt want to bring up this conversation in the other thread because many people there havent beat it or even bought it yet.

So....POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD....even for those who have beaten it.

Now that thats out of the way.

One HUGE thing I'm curious about now that I've finished the game is, how much of the story can change if you do things differently? Is it just minor changes in a particular scene that brings you from point A to point B no matter what? Or can decisions actually affect the story entirely? Like, if you are in scene A, can the decisions you make take you to B, C, D or E (and bring out plots and places and storylines that we may have not seen at all playing it through the first time)....or is it always to B just with a slightly different story in that particular scene you're in....

For example:

• I shot the guy in the house with the crucifixes...didnt mean to but I did. I assume he didnt have to die? If he didnt, would someone else have? Or would that have gone to a different path?

• You dont HAVE to drive up the thruway backwards do you?

• The electricity area had a door that said COWARD that I chose not to go through...could I have?

• Did you have to chop your finger off? What would have happened if 5 minutes ran out?

• Can Scott Shelby die early on or in the car scene changing up the entire last 30 minutes of the game and possibly the entire outcome?

• I missed a fingerprint in the typewriter place and ended up at the station. What if I didnt?

I could go on here but you get the point....some of you may even have already done these things differently. I just wonder if each scene still leads you to the next exact scene no matter what or if we could seriously play this a few different ways almost getting a totally new experience

I also dont want to say too much even tho most of you probably saw most of this stuff already. There are still some things that I'm sure those of us who played through once didnt see the same way so lets not get too crazy with the details/spoilers here. I just wonder what the deal is...am I going to see a new game if I play again?

I noticed during the ending, it seemed like it was a series of 5 or so "clips" based on decisions you made throughout the game. I assume there are 22 clips like these? Or 22 entirely different endings?

So....yeah....thoughts? I want to start over and do some things differently but I'm definitely wondering if this is just going to be the same. It would be cool if major major changes could happen by doing some things differently (i have some in mind). Could it end totally different next time?

2. W3rd

W3rd New Member

All 4 can die before the warehouse part (they can actually all 4 die at the warehouse too I guess). If Shelby dies before then it doesn't change the fact Shawn is still there, how it effects the trials I'm not sure.

3. hellodon

hellodon

Is it possible that Shelby isnt the brother? Or is that a fact no matter what?

4. hellodon

hellodon

Another weird thing I forgot to mention was that I thought I saw or read somewhere during the game that it was 2012...? I swear I saw that year while playing. Then Shelby's grave said he died in Oct 2011...which didnt make sense.

5. TeKKy

TeKKy Wut OT Supporter

Playing through the game again def. to do things differently

6. marcu5

marcu5 not worry friend. i do not grudge.

DO NOT PLAY HEAVY RAIN FOR THE PS3!!!

IT WILL FUCK WITH YOUR HEAD, DEPRESS THE SHIT OUT OF YOU, AND GENERLLY MAKE YOU FEEL HORRIFIC!!!

IT'S TO LATE FOR ME!!!I'VE ALREADY STARTED AND AM PRAYING FOR A HAPPY ENDING, BUT PLEASE DON'T PLAY THIG GAME!!!

IMAGINE THE MOVIE "Seven" CROSSED WITH "Cobra" VERY DARK, VERY DISTURBING!!!

STAY IN THE "Mushroom Kingdom" AND AWAY FROM HEAVY RAIN!!!

ONCE OR TWICE I'VE BEEN ON THE VERGE OF TEARS PLAYING THIS GAME!!!!

7. Carlos The Elf

Carlos The Elf OT Supporter

Maybe it's me, but I thought that Shelby looked pretty old for a guy who was below the age of 50. :dunno:

8. hellodon

hellodon

I was thinking the same thing...he looked like he was in his 60's which is why when I was assuming one of the guys was the kids brother - i didnt think it could be him because he was 10 in 1977 which means hes in his early 40's...my dad is 10 years older than that and doesnt look even close to that old

9. Carlos The Elf

Carlos The Elf OT Supporter

If anything, based on the age clue, I thought it would be the father (can't remember his name).

Fucking game. Anyone else notice any plot holes?

10. hellodon

hellodon

I figured it wasnt, because I felt like it could be him within the first hour of the game so I was thinking (hoping) it wouldnt be that obvious. Plus he thought it was himself too

11. Eticket109

Eticket109 Nibbles, chew through my ball sack. Moderator

TONS OF SPOILERS

There are a lot of misconceptions on how the game can turn out.

The killer is always the same, no matter what.

There are only 7 distinct endings to the game. That's it.

Within the 7 endings are about 19 epilogues that show what happened in that ending for each character. A lot of them overlap depending on what happens.

Most decisions you make do not affect the long term play of the game. Whether you shoot Nathaniel, let Blake beat up the shrink, ignore Shaun at the beginning and just drink beer all night... the flow of the game does not change. Most of the decisions will just cue changes in the scene or minor dialogue changes in later scenes.

Obviously, there are spots where main characters (Norman and Madison especially) and secondary characters (Hassan, Lauren and Kramer Sr.) can die and that obviously affects what chapters pop up and the endings you get.

Main character death scenes:
    Norman - Mad Jack fight, Club fight in Paco's office, ARI overdose near end, endgame fight
    Madison - Doctor sequence, fire sequence, endgame fight.
    Ethan - can only die at end of game

12. hellodon

hellodon

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I didnt know you could do this but I totally plan on it the next time through

You definitely cleared up a lot of my "wonders" about the game...though I guess to an extent it's a bit disappointing. I figured it wouldnt be TOO different but I was kind of hoping some major things could happen that might change where you end up.

Definitely a great game no matter what. One thing I like about it is that it's definitely like a good movie - and with any good movie you watch it a second time and nothing is going to change. Playing (or watching) Heavy Rain again actually lets you do that a bit.

13. The_Duck

The_Duck OT Supporter

What I find great is how the demo already has you play as the killer :bowrofl:

14. The_Duck

The_Duck OT Supporter

Stuff that pissed me off/Wish I changed in my 1st playthrough:

-Denying Madison a Kiss :rofl:
    -Saving Lauren in Lake (Didn't know what R1 was, hit it, and ended up leaving her there)
    -Having Jayden die on final fight scene (Like 3rd to last button strike to last ending) :ugh:

15. Eticket109

You can also just go outside and shoot hoops the whole time. I guess upstairs you can watch old home movies and cry about the son you lost while ignoring the one you have. :rofl:

It's stuff like that which will keep me coming back on this one. Little changes like that may not have a huge impact but it's still fun to try everything out to see how it unfolds.

Yeah I just barely lost that last fight too. That pissed me off.

16. hellodon

hellodon

I did this by mistake too. I guess you have to shake her first? I thought I'd bust through and bring her with me but wasnt given the option

17. Eticket109

You have to make sure she's untied and possibly try to wake her too.

18. hellodon

hellodon

I didnt know it was that easy to lose. I ended up winning that fight...I won't tell you guys what happens - i dont want to know what happens to shelby if he wins the jayden fight. Shit..I guess there is still a lot to uncover!

19. Eticket109

Directly after both fights if Shelby wins he disappears. The ending/epilogue shows what ultimately happens to him depending on your actions.

20. The_Duck

The_Duck OT Supporter

Werd, I want to find out myself too. I only missed like 1, maybe 2 button strikes on that endgame fight. I was so fkn pissed :ugh:

Jayden was my favorite character, seemed the most human to me, what kind of federal employee, especially a FBI agent, gets to the point where he's getting withdrawal from drugs? :rofl: Also was the most similar to my personality.

Fawk, I liked all the characters. Game was so good in drawing you to all of em (Madison not much, but still liked her). I played Ethan to what I would've done in those situations (I didn't kill drug dealer/father), and finally I liked Shelby alot and was so pissed when I found out it was him :mad:

21. The_Duck

The_Duck OT Supporter

^^Ticket, he doesn't want to know what happens :rofl:

22. Eticket109

That's why I didn't specifically say anything about his endings.

23. marcu5

marcu5 not worry friend. i do not grudge.

i hate the damn saving system

there's been times where i know i've fucked up and negatively altered the ending. so i hurry up and cut the game off, hoping i can start over from the beginning of the chapter. nope, decision already saved and you're just going to have to deal with it. :o

24. SBrooks1

SBrooks1 GOAT OT Supporter

I just finished it!! :bowdown: I didn't consider myself a PS3 gamer or even a hardcore gamer anymore but Uncharted 2 and Heavy Rain have brought me to love gaming again. :coold:

So about the ending.....I too fucked up and let Scott kill Jayden :wtc:

Is Scott Shelby the ONLY origami killer? Or depending on your choices can there be different killers??

Amazing game!! Loved it!

25. Eticket109

:)