MIL heavily considering joining,

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Pavester, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Pavester

Pavester New Member

dont exactly know what branch though.

sick of school, sick of my job. ive decided i need to do something with my life instead of work at walmart 5 days of the week and the other 2 go to community college

im leaning towards the navy. any suggestions?

2. Off

Off Memento Mori

I dropped out of a pretty good school to join and im pretty happy so far.

Do you want to be hard as fuck or learn a trade?:mamoru:

3. k1d.

k1d. New Member

i'm thinking about joining up myself. o.0

4. Pavester

Pavester New Member

both haha. if i do join im not going to do it for 4 years or so, i might as well go 20 years. make a career out of it and retire with benefits. and able to do something good with what i learned.

5. Cheerio

Cheerio New Member

Just make sure you find the job YOU want and do not let a recreuiter try to entice you with a big bonus or all these dreams. Find people here and ask them what they know about certain things.

6. CappyStyles

CappyStyles New Member

Uhhh. Go for it. Do something cool though. I'd highly suggest you pick a job that will get you a civillian job when you do get out. I've thought about going in the reserves to go to EOD School or something fun. :dunno: .

7. origin unknown

origin unknown OT Supporter

don't even think about saying you'll make a career out of it and be a 'lifer' until you have spent a real day in the military, and basic training is the fun part where shit is organized. read: clusterfuck for a better explanation of the military.

8. Off

Off Memento Mori

Well there's diving jobs, which give you a good foundation to learn an underwater trade afterwards. Theres EOD if you have the balls, im not sure about the US but a lot of EOD guys working in Afghanistan for us are navy underwater EOD. If you're really serious you can go to BUD/S :noes: There's a minimum time before you can try out IIRC so it gives you plenty of time to figure out if the military is for you and to get physically ready.

Listen to these guys when it comes to recruiters,from what I read here they do lots of shady shit to get you in and you might not end up where you want.

9. RecklessYouth

RecklessYouth godamnlurker

*looks at OPs location and av*........... Go tell the Army recruiter you want 11B with every Hooah school they can throw in. Just kidding, seriously though do your homework on all the branches and then further homework on what jobs are available. Do whatever fits your interests, there is more to life then dollar signs. Most of the miserable Soldiers I know, signed up for their MOS for the bonus money alone, whereas some of the happiest got no bonus but love what they do.

10. zhiniibob

zhiniibob CLUB ASTROS NOW OPEN OT Supporter

If you aren't getting exactly what you want walk out, they will make it work or just wait. And I wouldn't get ahead of yourself talking about retiring, you have no idea what the military is yet

11. OkiDiver

OkiDiver New Member

Get this out of your mind now and just take it one year at a time. Research the hell out of what kind of job you might be interested in, ask a lot of questions, and don't leave for bootcamp without your contract reflecting exactly what you want.

12. Cobra Commander

Cobra Commander OT Supporter

13. SSG Schwartz

SSG Schwartz New Member

I agree with what has been posted so far. I am an Army Recruiter, so I may be a bit biased. What I can tell you is that the Army is the only branch in which you can select your job before you sign your contract. We also have more jobs available than any other branch.

Again, have the Recruiter help you figure out what jobs he/she can match you up with, and then research the jobs to find one you think you might want. Study for the ASVAB and get the job and training you want.

SSG Schwartz

14. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

AF

got to put the random plug in

15. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

I'm AF, and I selected my job before signing anything.

16. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

you can do that in the Marine Corps as well. How does the army have more job choices than the Marine Corps, they both have similar ground and logistic jobs but the Marines has its own Wing that the Army doesn't.

17. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

They have medical personnel. :mamoru:

Kid we(Marines) were working with at the RS wanted Intel cuz his unlce in the Army is Intel. Uncle convinced him to go Army and they promised him Intel. Got down to MEPS, came back with MP mos. :mamoru: He didn't want MP, but Army told him he could lat move once he graduates basic or some bullshit like that.

Get that out of your mind, that you'll retire from the military. In fact, sign up for something fun that you will NEVER, EVER have a chance to do in civilian life. Go blow shit up, jump out of planes, etc..

18. Julius

Julius Guest

good advice. having experience in signal will look great on my resume, but there is zero challenge or satisfaction in my job.

i deeply regret not taking the EOD path.

19. AlextheDroog

AlextheDroog Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any ya

that issue with that is it kinda puts you in harms way...blowing up shit and jumping out of planes is exciting but usually attracts the attention of people who will want to shoot you..

unless he wants to get into combat...

20. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

uhh, isn't this Teh Barracks? And isn't he heavily considering joining the military?

I want to join the military but don't want to deploy, kill people, get shot at, get killed, experience any discomfort, or get put in any kind of danger or harms way. :ugh: I just want a paycheck and my college money.

21. teabagn

teabagn New Member

I'd have to agree with the guys about choosing a job that is exciting and that you probably wouldn't get to do in the civilian world. That's part of the reason I steered way from the MP route.

Medic seems challenging enough for me, especially knowing that I could be out running with the Marines. It's something that I could take to the civilian world, but don't really plan on. But it's something that I see as fun, rewarding, and challenging. And thats really all I'm looking for.

22. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

if you want to stay out of harm's way, GTFO of the military. There is no other way to put it.

23. AlextheDroog

now thats naive...

you'd be surpised how many people have joined just for that reason...

24. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Oh I know that plenty of people join for just that reason. I even had a NCOIC years ago that was a conscientious objector, what a fag.

25. AlextheDroog

correct me if I'm wrong (and i probably am) but aren't there a number of support positions that don't have you in a combat zone?

again not saying that the OP will or won't want to but not everything in the military leads to charging a front line or pulling missions..