heating pad modification

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cttt300zx, May 21, 2009.

1. cttt300zx

cttt300zx New Member

Ok this may be kind of a random question. But I have scoured the internet trying to find an answer and I just cant. My girlfriend has a stomach problem and she uses a heating pad to help ease the pain and spasms at night. However, she often wakes up in the middle of the night because the heating pad reached a certain temperature and shut itself off(at least thats what I believe happens, or is it just on a timer?). Basically I am trying to stop this from happening. I was debating on getting a different thermostat, or something along those lines. Before I go tearing it apart I just wanted to see if anybody had done this, or had any knowledge on where to look for the info. Or whatever. Please help. Thanks.

2. MrEous

MrEous OT Supporter

Was a doctor no help to her?...sucks.

I would look for a heating pad that doesn't shut off automatically. Are you sure she isn't shutting it off herself?

3. cttt300zx

cttt300zx New Member

The doctor has been no help yet and its been almost a year, but luckily they think they are getting close(excuse me while i control my excitement). But no she is not shutting it off by herself, the one I purchased for her at my house does the same thing. Its supposed to be a fire safety. And I cant seem to find any that dont shut off. Its really a pain in the ass. But I guess I am just going to have to tear one apart and see what happens haha.

4. MrEous

MrEous OT Supporter

How about this...

Buy a plug-in timer, have it set to turn on every 30 minutes. At least she'll be able to get relief during those times and maybe enough to keep her asleep? It's a cheap solution.

5. avctechsupp

avctechsupp New Member

+1

6. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I know this isn't what you want to hear but my mother fell asleep on a heating pad (doesn't have any type of shut-off feature) and got a serious burn on her back. I'm not sure if what you want to do is very safe.

With that said, check with a physical therapist office. They have some that are more "industrial" than the typical walmart/cvs ones that you might have. :dunno:

7. idmcore

idmcore New Member

Definitely get a medical-grade pad that will have a heat switch rather than a timer. Burns and fires are NOT worth the money saved by DIYing it.