Heater hardly works, car doesn't always start

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by MrBrotato, Dec 23, 2008.

1. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Wasn't sure what forum to put this in....

Ok I am posting about my wife's car. It is a 1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass... It is having two separate issues, actually these have been going on for the two years we've owned it.

1. In order to get any heat in the car we had to turn the fan up to speed 4 or 5. Settings 1, 2, and 3 did absolutely nothing, it was as if the fan was not on at all. Now 4 has stopped working and 5 is weaker. What is the cause of something like this?

2. The car sometimes has issues starting. If we turn the key to the power position and it begins beeping then it starts just fine. However, once in a while it won't beep. Instead it will make a sort of whining sound and eventually either go silent and not be able to start or sometimes start beeping and start fine. If it goes silent and won't start, we just turn it back off and wait a second then turn the key back to power and try again until it works. It has always done this according to the previous owner, and it has never totally failed to start, but sometimes it takes like 2 minutes of waiting before we can even get the engine running. What should I have looked at to fix this?

2. Justintiime

Justintiime OT Supporter

1 sounds like a switch or blower resistor.

2. no clue.

3. GQ

GQ OT Supporter

1. check your antifreeze to make sure it's topped off. if it is your thermostat might be going out. (or i misread that....is your fan on and it just pumps out cold air? or no fan breeze at all?)

2. could be alot of things including electrical problem, starter cylinoid, battery, or your alternator doesn't charge your battery anymore which results in a dead battery.

i'm not a mechanic but that's where i would start.

edited post......if the fan doesn't turn on itself it sounds like an electrical wiring problem.

4. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

1 is defiantly the blower motor resistor, or the switch.

most likely the switch.. i had the same problem and sprayed some wd-40 on the switch and moved it around a million times and it works now.

usually when the resistor goes bad you only get the highest setting . it is not because of coolant, etc.

2 sounds like it could be a problem with the ignition, it is probably wore out and not making contact when you turn the key the wining sound you hear is the fuel pump priming.

do you have a resistor key by chance?

does the security light flash when you try it?

5. RyRy

RyRy Active Member

This will help me out a little bit... Is it the older body style cutty like this [​IMG]

OR The newer style like this?
    [​IMG]

6. iansane

iansane Active Member

1. Blower Motor Resistor

2. Ignition Switch or VATS issue. Security light flashing or just does nothing at all? Either way it's a bad electrical connection somewhere in the system.

7. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

No resistor key... Nothing unusual with the security light. All the dash lights come on like normal but then go back off.
    Newer.
    Just normal dash lights like I mentioned above this.

My original theory on #2 was that the fuel filter was clogged or something because I thought, as someone above also mentioned, the beeping was indicating the fuel pump was being primed and maybe it was having trouble getting fuel through the line or something. Some times it takes forever to prime and fails to start before it is done, and sometimes it is instantly ready. It will ALWAYS start once the beeping indicates the fuel pump is primed, it will NEVER start before that. However, this week we have had temperatures in the low 20s which I thought would make the problem worse but the beeps were normal and the car started instantly every day this week.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008