Heat Soak on a 1967 327 motor

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by uofapeter, Nov 19, 2008.

1. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

A few months back i posted about my Chevelle not starting and you guys helped me ID the problem as starter heat soak. I wrapped the starter in heat reflective wrap, and I thought my problem was solved. I really didn't drive the car that often because it was summer here in AZ and its too hot without AC.

Now that winter has come around, my car will start like a charm if its cold or if i drive it in less than 15min time periods. Any time i drive it 20 mins or more, it will not start until the motor is cold again. This usually takes well over an hour. I thought my problem was solved with the heatwrap but now im back to the original problem, even in the cold weather.

I've convinced myself to buy a new mini starter, wrap the starter in heat reflective wrap, and wrap the header with heat wrap as well.

My concern is that i will buy all this shit and it might turn out to be some other electrical problem.. has anybody dealt with anything like this before?

thanks guys

2. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

3. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

I have a mini starter, no wrap with headers, also no wrap on those. I can start mine up when hot in the summer no problems. I'm not using a remote solenoid but alot of guys do and they swear by them.

Also have you checked the rest of your electrical system?? Make sure you don't have a faulty ground somewhere. I had that issue once or twice, on my Camaro I ended up running a cable from the starter bolt to the front bolt holding the shifter in, then from the back shifter bolt to the trunk where it attached using the same body ground as the battery ... dual ground cables from each head to the subframe as well ... I think eventually when I put in SFCs I'l be able to take out the extra cables from front to back .. we'll see.

4. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

I actually did have a faulty ground from the battery to the frame when i first got the car which i immediately took care of. My battery is in the trunk so its basically a foot long cable straight into the frame. This is my only ground cable from the battery. The block is also properly grounded to the frame up front.

I'll run an extra ground from the battery up to the front end of the car to make sure everything is grounded properly. Thanks.