Heart Rate & Burning Fat Question

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by onedownfiveup, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onedownfiveup

onedownfiveup Active Member

I've been exercising on an exercise bike for the past 2 weeks 4 days a week. I've lost 5lbs and I've been eating better.

I try to keep my heart rate between 130 - 140 range throughout my 30 minute exercise.

Someone was telling me to burn fat you want to keep it between 120 - 128 and anything over 130bpm will start burning carbs for a cardio workout.

Anyone have any info on this?

2. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

It doesn't matter what substrate you're burning DURING exercise, unless you're on a very low carb diet (in which case too much intensity will cause muscle loss). The harder you work, the more fat you'll end up burning.

3. onedownfiveup

onedownfiveup Active Member

That's what I figured.

So basically, he's an idiot?

4. Daria

Daria New Member

This 'fat burning zone' is a myth. You're going to see it on tonnes of cardio machines, but you should ignore it. To lose weight, you want to maintain a calorie deficit, meaning you want to burn more calories than you ingest. You will burn more calories per half hour by pushing yourself harder and getting that higher heart rate.
    If you are concerned about muscle loss, keep a lifting routine for 2-3 days/week.

5. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

What she and Ceaze said. Your body will use more fat for fuel if you're in the "fat burning zone" but that really means nothing when it comes to actual fat loss. Regardless of where the calories come from, any excess in cals will be turned to fat and any shortages will be made up for with fat from your body.

6. fauxdiophile

fauxdiophile OT Supporter

i think where this myth comes from is that a lower intensity workouts end up burning a higher percentage of calories from fat, while a higher intensity workout burns more overall calories, while less may come from fat; you'd still be burning the same or more fat during the higher intensity workout, but a lower percentage. misconception that gets perpetuated by all the artards, and especially trainers. plus higher intensity workouts can burn calories throughout the rest of the day while you recover

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.