hearing loss

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CasGallo, Dec 31, 2005.

1. CasGallo

CasGallo New Member

I like to listen to my misic pretty loud and with a lot of bass. I have a 12" type R alpine sub running 500 rms and 900 peak with plans to upgrade system soon. should i be too worried about hearing loss? well it doesnt really worry me, but just curious >_<

obviously not the best place to ask these types of questions, but i just wanted to have some input.

2. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

It doesn't take anywhere near the power you have to do lasting and/or permanent damage...
    It should worry you. Every time your hearing is leveled or your ears ring, you've done damage...not nescessarily a lot but some. Your ears can heal from occasional, slight damage...but do this every day and you'll be in trouble before you know it.

Combine this with a genetic predisposition for loss (if you have one) and you may be in more trouble than you realize. Be careful!

3. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i have damage in my right ear. from going to concerts and not wearing earplugs. it sucks now, because i hear distortion whenever something is too loud. and my ear hurts slightly when it gets loud.

i listen to quiet music and use plugs now, it's not worth it to be deaf for loud music

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i need to get some good plugs from like ultimate ears

5. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:werd: as a musician for many years (10+) playing in groups in various environments, I've got some slight damage as well similar to what you're describing. Being a saxophonist plaing in jazz/swing/latin/funk-rock groups, I always end up the unfortunate soul with a blaring trumpet player about 10" from the back of my head, blowing full-force right at my ears. Unfortunately, I discovered too late that there were ear plugs out there that don't distort sound frequencies you're hearing (distortion being a fatal thing to acoustic musicians trying to match pitch and intonation with others).

You DO need to worry about it, you'll regret it in the long run if you keep hurting yourself this way.

Bass in and of itself actually takes slightly longer to PERMANENTLY damage your hearing than higher frequencies, but at the same time your ears are inherently slightly more sensitive to higher frequencies, so you can do a little more damage without noticing it than if you blow out the lower frequencies. (At least, this has been my experience.... every person's ears and hearing is different.)

6. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

7. Ronin

Ronin Guest

8. Morphius

Morphius Jackal

Careful with earplugs. The fact that they direct all of the sound directly into your ear means that a lower dB level could do more damage then open air speakers. Just keep the music at the point that you can still talk to someone without really raising your voice and you should be ok :bigok: