Healthy diet while living in the dorms.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by SaintGRW, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaintGRW

SaintGRW OT Supporter

I searched and went through the sticky but I'm sure it's been covered before somewhere.

I'm looking to drop about 20lbs I'm 5'9" 165lbs right now, I was 140 before I started a deskjob and then went back to school. I've lost 5lbs so far this summer basically because the school cafeteria is closed for the summer session so we have to fend for ourselves. I'm interested in hearing what you guys would recommend for the 5-6 meals a day. According to the sticky I should go with around 3100 calories a day and 250g of protein a day.

This is what I found in my search, hoping someone might be able to modify it to something a little more basic/cheaper. Some of the meals seem big for me, I can't drink gatorade and have a hard time drinking whey protein sometimes.

meal 1
    6 eggwhites 2 yolks
    3/4 cup oatmeal water or 1% milk
    one scoop whey protein
    meal2
    can of tuna
    1/2 cup rice
    light italian dressing(olive oil)
    meal 3
    6-8oz chicken
    5oz sweet potato
    1/2 cup green beans
    1 tbsp peanut butter
    meal 4
    1 can of tuna
    1/2 cup rice
    light italian (olive oil)
    train
    meal 5
    2 scoops whey, 1 gatorade
    meal 6
    6-8oz sirloin or steak
    large dinner salad with red wine vinegar/olive oil

I'm going to download the program from FitDay to keep track of what I'm eating and I'm going to start hitting up the gym. I'm thinking lots of Cardio (elipse/biking) as I'm mostly looking to drop some weight right now and increase my endurance as I haven't really done anything since I stopped playing high school sports in '98 Maybe 2 miles a morning a morning with no time limit or should I just run for a set time each morning? Maybe in a week or so when I get proper breathing and am not getting sick from the cardio I'll start adding some weight training after my cardio.

2. TZ

TZ Banned

Lift weights man, you'll look better than if you just do cardio

3. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

No one said its easy... sometimes you just gotta choke down the food you don't like.

bulk chicken breast, frozen veggies, tuna, and rice are very cheap even on a college budget. And you need to start lifting. 5'9 160 isn't large at all, it seems to me like you just don't have any muscle mass. Clean the diet up and hit a routine like Pur's Bodybuilding routine. Do cardio 4x a week and the gains will come.

4. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

word. did this for a long ass time.

having more money to throw around on food is actually more of a curse recently than helpful... i was eating much cleaner when i had to budget more.

5. Plan B

Plan B New Member

5'9" and you're looking to lose weight at 165?

Mind posting pics?

6. SaintGRW

SaintGRW OT Supporter

I'm not looking to appear ripped, just slim down to where I was before I got a desk job.

I know it's not going to be easy, but I would like to stay away from things that make me sick (gatorade being one, sometimes whey if I don't get it down quick enough) I've got cans of Tuna in my room is mixing them with miracle whip for a tunafish sandwhich on wheat bread fine or should I modify that somehow. I'm trying to only keep water in the fridge for myself to drink.

I know that I'm not large but I just want to slim up, I'm sure I can't anymore but when I wrestled I could bench press my body weight which was strong enough for me then and I didn't appear to have much muscle mass, I'll start lifting after I get comfortable with cardio again but for now I just want to clean up my diet and get my endurance up, but if you guys tell me lifting is a better way to get my endurance up. :dunno:

7. SaintGRW

SaintGRW OT Supporter

I don't really have any pics other than the one of me in my leathers on a bike. Basically I'll be around 8% BF if I drop 20lbs which is where I used to be. :o

8. Sgt. Dignam

Sgt. Dignam Guest

:ugh2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.