A&P Headshots of my girlfriend.... C+C appreciated

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by turbodude, Jun 22, 2008.

1. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

she needed these done for a job...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gridded softbox in a AB400 up high above camera, and gridded 550ex above her head for hair light

2. alexromo

alexromo New Member

i guess they are not too bad

from my understanding, you need to show different emotions in different headshots (at least from those ive seen from actors i know)

serious, smiling showing teeth, without showing teeth, angry, sad

etc i duno

3. This is just me, but if it were for a job I'd take out the lip ring...

4. mooingmooseman

mooingmooseman New Member

^agreed

thought it was a fly at first.... not sure what job this is for but at the very least, it's distracting and at worst, it's inappropriate. Piercings on her chest have the same comment. they are less noticeable but that one on the left of the picture looks red and swollen...

just in terms of the picture though, i'm not sure why you chose to cut of some of the hair in both. to me it just makes the whole shot look crowded. i wouldn't like too much space on the sides either, but just enough to make the shot look intentional. this made me feel like you were just standing too close and couldn't move further back.

only other thing would be the shirt, overexposed to the max (not your fault) so i would go as far as to suggest another shirt. something off-white. it just looks like a fluorescent light down there.

just my two cents. i'm not pro or anything so the better OTers can correct me if they want =P definitely good pictures though.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  5. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

I think it's a great set man as far as your job is concerned. Lip piercing is distracting, but that is really the point of 'em: to accentuate that particular part of the body. The chest ones, I would have cloned, covered or something until they fully heal. Either way, I like the lighting and how close you got, most people think head shots need to include have the dame person.

6. alexromo

alexromo New Member

7. mooingmooseman

maybe i'm nuts but why is the top of their heads all cut off in the samples? is that just because they're samples or is this some kind of technique?

8. alexromo

alexromo New Member

to focus in on their face, most places couldnt care less about hair

9. mooingmooseman

meh. it bothers me but i'm not that great myself so what do i know, haha. thx

10. alexromo

alexromo New Member

ive even asked my friend who was an assistant casting director, that looks through hundereds of these kinda pictures

says he never looks at the hair or etc just their face

11. kristin

kristin my dog > *

The way most people like to make headshots is to make sure the face is the main attraction. They don't care if the ears, hair, shirt, etc are out of focus, as long as the eyes and the main facial features are in focus, so it wouldn't matter if those were cut out of the photo. In fact, some really good photographers blur those other parts on purpose so the attention is brought only to the face :dunno:

I personally really like #1. Agreed on cloning out the chest piercings -- but if you wanted, you could just clone the redness of the one on camera left and you'd be fine, IMO.

12. turbodude

its for a vegas club bartending position. i forgot about the chest peircings... whoops. but the lip peircing was left intentionally. green hair and the peircing set her apart from other local chicks. :)

as for the cutting off of the hair. i prefer it to bring attention more to the face and use the hair as a frame for the face.

everyone thanks for the comments. and ill make sure to cllone out the redness in the peircings. i am so used to seeing them i forgot about it.

13. alexromo

alexromo New Member

[​IMG]

rather than make a new thread....amirite?

lemmie know whu ya think

no editing other than cropping and CRW --> jpg conversion

14. Spurious

Spurious New Member

No, make a new thread.

15. Spurious

Spurious New Member

Lobotomy headshots are ridiculous, you're right.

16. Spurious

Spurious New Member

As for the OP... I like the shots. I like leaving the lip ring in, if it was going to hinder her getting the job, she would have taken it out, clearly the potential employer is cool with alternative piercings. The unhealed chest piercings are a little distracting though and I would have C/Hd them out.

I would have cropped a little less tightly, especially for two, but all in all, solid headshots for an alternative chick.

17. DRAIGON

DRAIGON New Member

:eek4: A Compliment :noes:

What did you do to Spurious?
    ibaccounthighjack

18. Spurious

Spurious New Member

I only bother posting in a small number of C&C threads now. Usually only when I see something I like or shots relevant to my stylistic interests. So when I do post it'll probably be at least partly positive.

Arguing with noobs on why their photos suck, while entertaining, gets old quickly when you realize only 1 in 10 take your C&C seriously and only 1 in 10 of those has the chops to ever truly stop sucking. So I limit myself to either people I think I'll get a funny reaction out of or noobs that actually take the time to better themselves as photographers after posting their "I just got my DSLR look at these wicked pictars I just took" threads.

19. DRAIGON

DRAIGON New Member

Like I did when I got mine! You led me in the direction Im in now. I will post some soon and I hope YOU like/ enjoy them. I took your CC to heart and now well.....we'll just wait and see.

20. turbodude

thanks all, i ended up editing out the surface peircings altogether. and yes the lip ring was left on purpose. :)

21. alexromo

alexromo New Member

:o