A&P Headshots/Family Shots for people... is this a good idea?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Wobistdu, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

I love taking pictures for the joy of photography. Sometimes I run in to a mental block of what I want to shoot.

What are some pros/cons of offering to take pictures of families or professionals free of charge? Just for the experience and saving them some money.

I know a few people that have asked me, but I don't feel confident enough. I've finally decided to give it a shot. I mean I've set the expectation that I won't give studio quality shots and I'm not charging.

What do you think?

2. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

i took family pictures for my in-laws. they were really happy and all i charged them was about $5 extra per print over what it cost me. :dunno: that was more of a challenge though because they wanted me in the big group shots too. :o

3. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

i guess this is a trial and error thing. yours turned out well then huh?

4. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

you sold pics to your famiry? slimeball6969

5. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

It's a good way to get some practice in, and get comfortable shooting people...

And it's free, so it's not like they can get pissed at you if they're not perfect, because they're getting something for nothing!

I started shooting people this way... Headshots, random portraits, etc... It really helped me get comfortable working behind a camera with other people...

Another thing that's worth giving a shot is picking a theme, and getting all of your friends and family to pose for you within the theme... This is actually how my film noir series started... I just wanted to practice shooting people using the light and emotion that was in those movies, and I found out that people were REALLY into it...

6. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

sweet

thanks for the tips man

7. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

:rofl: they wouldn't take no for an answer and insisted on paying :dunno: