heads for a chevy 350, need advise

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by old_, Jul 7, 2004.

1. old_

old_ Active Member

I am looking to get a set of better heads for my V8 RX7. It has a chevy 350 from a 79 camaro. Right now it has the stock heads and a very mild cam. I think one of the valves is toast (tapping like a bitch, smoke from that side of the exhaust) and I would like to upgrade anyway. I really dont want to spend more than $500 on them. Can you give me any suggestions? I really dont know a whole lot about what is available and how to get the most bang for my buck so any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks :)

2. Stupify

Stupify OT Supporter

you can get brand new vortec heads for a little over $500 new from summit

3. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

you probably won't find a new set of heads for that price, unless you go with Iron. If you have this thing in an RX7, you probably don't want the extra 50lbs of wieght. Save your money, get a set of good Edlebrock Performer RPM heads, they are aluminum, they'll work well with your mild cam, and they have plenty of room to grow if you need to. You might be able to find a used set on ebay for just a little more than $500.
    One thing though, don't get caught up in the "bigger is better" bullshit talk. Alot of people will tell you to get a set of AFR 215s or something like that. You in no way need, or want a head with that big of a runner. That will only slow down velocity at low engine speeds, and kill any torque you have. Unless your going for an all out race engine, a head with a ~190cc intake runner is more than enough.

4. Whalephat

Whalephat Conservative Bastard

:werd:

But you're also going to need a new intake to match up with the Vortec heads. Add another $200-300 there.