Headrush after heavy squatting (not the cool kind)

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Merck, Feb 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merck

Merck New Member

I know theres like..lifter's high and thats what many guys consider the 'good' kind of headrush after a heavy squat/deadlift session

and im pretty sure its just from like blood rushing to your legs and not returning en masse once your legs are pumped but ...

lately while ive been doing heavy squats and deadlifts i keep getting the most horrible headrush..i feel like im going to pass out and usually i just keep pushing (ANIMAL) but by the end im almost walking sideways and often have to sit down and catch my breath and the room is spinning etc..

anything over 315 seems to do this to me now, could it be something to do with doing anything over 5-8 reps? Ive been doing 10-12 with heavy-ass weight and there seems to be a correlary...but every time i finish a set, get up and drink some water i get this horrible fucking feeling

is it that im not breathing deep enough? not expanding my lungs/ribcage/diaphragm enough? being too much of a girl? dehydration?

god i feel like a bitch

2. Tumbles

Tumbles New Member

I would think it might have something to do with your nutrition around the workout.

Since I've started cutting I'm actually having a similar problem on pretty much any exercise I do after the first half of the workout - no clue how to fix it though. I don't go in on an empty stomach, and I always have carbs before heading off, but just from my experience that probably has something to do with it.

3. Merck

Merck New Member

I don't think its nutrition...I had 3 eggs on ham with a bowl of oatmeal and a shake before hand (breakfast).. just had my 2nd meal and im still kinda feeling the rush

it happens to me any time i do it, doesnt matter what ive eaten or had to drink or how much ive slept..

4. Tumbles

Tumbles New Member

actually its just squats and deads?

it might be your breathing.

5. Merck

Merck New Member

that's what i was thinking

i guess ill just pay more attention to it...

6. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

your body is probably pissed off that this is happening a lot: [​IMG]

7. Merck

Merck New Member

systolic spikes when pulse is low/at rest?

makes sense actually

8. BAC_311

BAC_311 New Member

so would maybe 5-10 mins of a cardio warm up pre-workout stabilize everything better than going into it cold?

9. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

What I posted is actually what happens to your BP and HR when you perform the valsalva maneuver. It fucks with your body bad, that is why people tell you to breathe when you're working out!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valsalva_maneuver

It actually can result in a really nice BP spike after you are done too. A cardiologist told me this is why tons of old people stroke out while they are trying to take a crap in the nursing home :rofl:

10. Merck

Merck New Member

:bowrofl:

good to know

felt like such a newb, breathing? i mean CMON WHO NEEDS THAT SHIT

11. Merck

Merck New Member

yeah and semi disoriented

12. Memor

Memor Active Member

That's somethin I'd look into. I'll occasionally see stars/have my eyes blur or blackout a little after a heavy squat attempt, but not dizziness and disorientation and shit...that'd worry me. I've seen guys blackout completely before when shirted benching but they always get up quick afterwards and feel ok, nothing lasting like you're describing

13. Merck

Merck New Member

lasts for a half hour or so after lifting

im going to try concentrating on my breathing first, then if it persists ill go see my doctor

lolbraintumorlol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.