headphones w/ computer question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GuOD, Oct 11, 2005.

1. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in using headphones but I can't figure out how to do it for the life of me.

I have a computer with Audigy 2 ZS and 5.1 speakers (log z5500s). I want to use my headphones at night and I got some senn hd500s for testing purposes but when I plug them into my speaker control pod the output is REALLY low! I have to crank up the volume big time. However, I can't plug my headphones into my audigy because the speakers use up the 3 plugs. I was thinking of getting the senn hd555s but they have an even higher impedance and thus I would HAVE to plug them directly into my audigy but I don't know how that will work because I can't crawl under my desk and switch the plug every day several times.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

2. DaddyThirdLeg

DaddyThirdLeg SMASH puny humans

3. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

Thanks - but that doesn't answer any of my questions.

btw, the headphones have a 10ft cord anyway so it's not a problem at all

4. DaddyThirdLeg

DaddyThirdLeg SMASH puny humans

:coolugh:it actually addresses the problem of having to crawl under your desk, you plug that into the card leave it on top of your desk and plug in speakers or headphones, no crawling involved, well maybe just once

5. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

ah. but the speakers use 5.1 channels (3 plugs) so they must all be plugged in the same place.. and i'm not so sure on the quality of those little extension cables. it would require 3 cables and a big mess

6. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Get a y-splitter and a minijack extension like listed and attach the splitter to your front channel jack on the sound card. One end goes to the speakers the other to the headphones. Voila.

7. Arc

Arc New Member

i am currently using the same setup. works great for me.
    but i am using sound blaster something or other, and logitec 2.1, and my headphones are some simple altec lansing. works great though