headphones: buy higher model without listening?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Xeryus, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Xeryus

Xeryus New Member

I'm looking to get a quality set of headphones soon. My buddy has taught me to never buy audio equipment without listening to it first.

Heres my situation. I can get my hands on a set of 'phones(Sony MDR-V500DJ) and listen to them, but i want to buy the next model up(MDR-V700DJ).
    If I like how the lower model sounds, would it be safe to say that the higher model would sound the same or better?

I ask b/c I'd have to buy the MDR-V700DJ's online. I don't think I could listen to them directly.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

it should be safe to assume an equal or better quality.

and although listening to audio equipment first is a good idea, sometimes a leap of faith isnt a horrible idea either due to the fact some things are incredibly rare in certain areas.

just something to think about

(i always buy stuff without listening to it first, so far this hasnt failed me)

3. CyberLeader

CyberLeader Superior Cybernetic Race

the v700 are shit headphones.
    you should look at something decent. try grado or sennheiser.

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i was thinking the same thing, but if he is set on listening first then that is going to be a bit harder.

5. Xeryus

Xeryus New Member

any suggestions within grado or sennheiser?

I've heard lots of good things about sennheiser, tho never had the opportunity to listen to them.

Im also considering some Ministry of Sound stuff. my buddy has a set of IXOS M.O.S. Dj1003. Those sound good. I might go up to the 1002s.

6. CyberLeader

whats your budget? do you prefer sealed or open headphones?

7. Xeryus

Xeryus New Member

Im thinking sealed. I want something quality. They will be used only at home, so they dont necessarily have to be extra rugged.

Budget-wise, I think I'll go up to around $300/350. I'm willing to pay for quality. But if I were to find something that is above that, I'll save up a bit more cash.

8. Ronin

Ronin Guest

9. CyberLeader

the best cans are all open (except for canal phones like etymotic)..
    Sennheiser HD600 can be found for $300 or less, and are really good.
    If you can find a good deal, the Senn HD650 is perhaps one of the best full sized headphones available, but will likely be over $400.
    Both Senns are also very comfortable.

You should really use a headphone amp with any of these phones to get the best sound out of them though. the hd580/600/650 are all 300 Ohm, and most headphone jacks, even on otherwise nice recievers, arent all that great.

Grado's are a bit easier to drive, but an amp still helps a lot. Perhaps the Grado SR325 (less than $300), or RS-2 (over $400). If you dont want an amp, i would consider one of these.