Headphone/Speaker break-in?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Simple, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Simple

Simple Sexy Beatch

what are you thoughts?
    i recently picked up a pair of Grado SR-125's
    i was listening to them all day and left them on overnight/nextday on a loud volume setting to "break" them in.

was there something i should have avoided i.e. not listened at moderate volume before break in? what are you thoughs?

2. thegeneral

thegeneral Guest

I dont know about LOUD, but I would keep them at a decent level for a couple days. A good idea is to play pink noise through them. If you can, try turning your tuner to a no signal station. From what I know that pink noise does a pretty good job with burn in. I guess it covers most of the frequencies. :dunno:

How are they so far? :big grin:

3. Simple

Simple Sexy Beatch

well i'm listening to them through the computer :ugh:

but even then they're very pleasant. sometimes i'll be reading something and i'll just zone out and lean back and enjoy :)

i really do need a separate headphone amp.

4. Maxvla

Maxvla Guest

those are great cans.

you have them broken in by now but anyone else who reads this should find music with a wide range of frequencies.

typically rap or r+b is a very good candidate since it has very low bass and usually has some highs as well. the best way i've found to break in cans is to put them as loud as possible before they start distorting. distortion can cause driver problems so you want to avoid that at all times.

as far as the headphone amp... lots of options. what is your price range? also are you looking at getting a standalone source? what formats would you be interested in? dvd-audio, SACD, redbook cd (standard cd) are the typical options.

if you really want lots of good info on headphoning head over to www.head-fi.org and read up in their forums. tons of info.

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD580s and I am getting a Gilmore Lite when they are released. They are made by a guy who goes by Antness on the forums. The gilmore lite will sell for about 299. now you don't need to spend that much and if your main source is going to be your computer i would first suggest taking a look at what you've got in there. if its not at least an audigy or santa cruz you need to upgrade that before anything else. bare minimum upgrade would be an audigy. audigy 2 doesn't really gain you anything over the audigy1. unless you are gaming i would suggest a M-Audio Revolution or Audiophile 24/96.

amp for a computer source.. i would suggest a cmoy or CHA47 if you want to stay under 100 bucks. a Meta42 will be a significant improvement but will be around 175 starting depending on the maker you talk to. all three of those amps are classified as DIY amps which you can build yourself if you have some skillz, or you can have someone make one for you, such as JMT, a moderator on that forum I suggested earlier.

any other questions just ask.

happy headphoning. :)

5. 04

04 Guest

I don't get why you guys bother breaking your speakers/electronics/headphones in. I mean I heard absolutely no difference in my hd600's after a few weeks of listening to them. They sound identical as the day I bought them.

The only thing I could think of that could even benifit to breaking in is the suspension, but even then the motor has far more control than the suspension does. The voice coil is not going to change from breaking in....

Maxvla, as far as distortion damaging the headphones, the only distortion that would damage them would come from them being played past their linear excursion limits. Passing a distorted signal to them as long as it does not make them overexcur or cause thermal damage will not hurt the headphones.

6. Maxvla

Maxvla Guest

i don't take any chances. all my speakers whether they be my computer speakers or my subs in my car i never let them distort. call it dumb, but why would you want distortion anyways?

as far as breaking in. with my hd580's i have noticed a very marked improvement in the bass range and a smoothing of a little hump in the midbass. obviously something is changing.

i don't claim to be an expert on the innerworkings of headphones. i can just speak as a consumer and an addict. :cool:

7. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

its all in your mind my dears :)

if you can explain to me what physically changes in the speaker and why the T/S specs do NOT change to make any audible difference ill dry hump you for a few mins :o

NOTHING CHANGES.. :)

8. 04

04 Guest

Actually, I wouldn't call that dumb, I would call it rather smart, I don't see why anyone would want to listen to something that is distorted anyways...

But, that doesnt mean that the distortion is hurting anything. It really depends on what exactly is doing the distorting, to know if anything is wrong...

9. Maxvla

Maxvla Guest

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33100

straight from sennheiser's technical applications manager.

10. thegeneral

thegeneral Guest

You are SUCH an idiot sometimes. :rofl:

11. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

prove me wrong then

PROVE ME WRONG THEN PROVE THAT SPEAKERS BREAK IN SHOW ME PROOF

12. Maxvla

Maxvla Guest

i already linked you to proof.

you not going to believe a sennheiser technical manager?

13. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

i read it there was no proof.. the tech manager stated that he recomends doing it and still provided no proof he simply stated that the surround loosens up.. why would the surround loosen up before the spider?? the spider moves more.. If the surrounds compliance changes that much to make a HUGE difference then something is wrong. Ok so lets think about something here IF a speaker could break in it would be a midrange driver ( that played low ) or a subwoofer.. A tweeter and a mid playing freq that are not extreme movement dependend then how does the spider or surround for that matter even matter??? So lets take a mid and tweeter that play VOCALS ONLY no bass or midbass whats so ever.. how is it possible that they can break in since they really barely ever move?? how does a Kef UNI-Q midrange driver break in? it has no suspension... so again please explain how you can hear a huge difference in a speaker breaking in when in theory the only thing that could change is the sub freq and even then t/s specs dont ever change afterwords so how is there an audible difference???? If the t/s specs changed then so would your box.. so apparently everyone has the wrong box and crossovers for their speakers soo since speakers break in afterwords :rolleyes:

14. Simple

Simple Sexy Beatch

whoa. battle.

but informative thread. thanks to all

15. 04

04 Guest

"Simply, it just loosens up the surround so the diaphragm moves more easily.

Straight off the production line it is a little stiff.

Best Regards,

John Willett
    Technical Applications Manager - Sennheiser UK
    [email protected]
    (Direct line:- +44 (0) 1494 551 540)
    (Mobile:- +44 (0) 7973 633 634)"

He doesnt say anything about it changing the sound quality or affecting the frequency response, or loudness in any way. All he does is say its stiff. Which makes sense. But I ask again, can anyone hear the difference between a pair right out of the box and one that is broken in? I doubt it...

16. P-chan

P-chan New Member