Headphone Repair: DIY or Store?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TekDragon, Nov 14, 2006.

1. TekDragon

TekDragon Guest

I am a complete newb when it comes to repairing audio equipment.

I have a pair of these:

[​IMG][​IMG]

And I need to replace the plug. Not the big optional one that screws on top, but the one that is part of the wire.

1. What part is that, exactly? I think it's called a "mini stereo plug", but are there different versions?

2. Can I replace it myself, or should I get it replaced an in audio store for $25?

I'm pretty sure the plug is the problem as i've plugged it into 2 computers and I only get sound on one side unless I twist the plug around a bit, then I can get both headphones until I let off the pressure.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2006
  2. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic One Nation Under A Groove

Why not try to replace it yourself? If you fail you can always bring it to the repair place and have them do it up right and you haven't lost anything but a little time and a dollar.

3. TekDragon

TekDragon Guest

Well, i'd need to know the part as well as a quick DIY "How To" for replacing it.

4. TekDragon

TekDragon Guest

In this entire sub forum no one has ever replaced a plug on a pair of headphones before?

Sheesh, maybe i'm not as newb as I thought.

5. -argonaut-

-argonaut- New Member

You should do it yourself..., it'll be easier with a ColdHeat wireless soldering iron BTW.

6. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

what size plug do you need???

[​IMG]
    2.5, 3.5 and 6.35 mm TRS plugs

7. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

He needs a 3.5 TRS plug. Here is a good one if you want to buy online:
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=092-157
    Or, http://www.westlake-electronic.com/cgi-bin/store.php?search=yes&detail=yes&item_no=SWI-35HDNN

I hear the switchcraft's are easier to solder, I haven't tried the neutrik's myself yet.

Or, just go down to radio shack I guess, probably will do fine.

Do it yourself if you have a steady hand and know how to solder, plus have the tools, etc. Soldering a Mini TRS plug is not supremely difficult, but it does require accurate connections as the solder "prongs" are quite small and potentially easy to short out. Personally I'm very big on DIY, so I'd probably learn to solder (if I didn't already), etc. just so I could do it myself. It's up to you.