Headphone crew - Recommend me a set of headphones < $150!!! v.lurker

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hoolahoop, Feb 5, 2007.

1. hoolahoop

hoolahoop New Member

Tired of earbuds and want to try something more enclosed. I've looked into the Sony's but reviews have been all over the board. What are some brands I should look at? I like Shure's but $$$ :wtc:

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

higher end sennheisers

3. Bowers & Wilkins

Bowers & Wilkins New Member

grado SR 125

4. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic One Nation Under A Groove

grado SR-60's are a great set of headphones for about $70 online. I wouldn't hesitate to get some of their higher end models. You can't really go wrong with either grado or senn in my opinion.

5. IndianBabu

IndianBabu New Member

Bose's new earbud headphones are amazing. I love them.

6. -=Likwid=-

-=Likwid=-

I've heard good things about Grados.

However, I just got a set of Sony MDR 7506s, and realize why it was actually hard for me to find any (reasonable) bad reviews. They're exactly what I was looking for in a set of headphones in that price range.

I'd suggest bringing a select few songs you enjoy in a high bitrate and trying whatever pair you are looking at on before buying. Any good store will let you do this.

7. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic One Nation Under A Groove

:typer:

8. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

what sounds good to one person doesn't always apply to everyone.

btw, i hate bose.

9. AO

AO New Member

Then head on over to www.headfi.org

10. N1XRR

N1XRR New Member

New or used?

I'm personally a fan of HD-580's for the price, but they just suit my music tastes more than pretty much any of the Grado's I've tried.

11. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

Assuming you have a *powerful* amp, a *good* source, and can use a full size, open can, HD580s are far and away the best value as far as sound reproduction goes. They're all but identical to 600s and hold their own very well vs. 650s. However, they're very laid back until you feed them some serious power..and they're big, and they're open, so that rules them out for a lot of people & situations.

As far as 'enclosed' phones, the only closed pair I own is the Senn HD202, which are mind-blowingly good for the $15 they cost. The HD212 Pro is where I'd advise you start looking. I don't have a pair as I don't often require a closed phone (202's stay at work, for example) but I have heard them and they're quite good.

Make headroom (www.headphone.com) your new best friend. Their prices are fair (though never the absolute best), service is top notch and their reviews are trustworthy (as in they shit-talk stuff they sell if its crap).

12. AO

AO New Member

Yes, but hoolahoop is using ear buds, so for all we know he's using them on a portable to listen to his iPod, in which case the HD580 (even with it's "veil") can be impractical. If he listens to rock they may not be the ideal can, as if he uses his cans to play games. For movie and PC use I prefer the AKG K401s and K501s. But that's just me. I wouldn't use my AKG K1000s for gaming. But for Rock guitar they are unsurpassed. imo.

It all comes down to personal preference, source material (TV film viewing, TV console gaming, computer gaming, listening station (SAVD or DVD-A) or iPod). As far as gaming goes, cans are the only way to go. imo.

13. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

I've got Sennheiser HD-280s for home, and some Shure E4C earbuds for my iPod.... both sou.nd GREAT to me...

14. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

audio technica a900
    good for music, good for gaming.