Head unit suggestions...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Dubtastic, Aug 23, 2002.

1. Dubtastic

Dubtastic { OG }

I currently have an Alpine head unit, but it is 3 or 4 years old and now has trouble playing CDRs. I have a small amp & sub, but nothing impressive. Just enough for my little Honda.

What I am looking for is a decent head unit that will play CDs, CDRs, and MP3s. I am guessing something around the $300 - $400 range, but not sure, so I turn to the experts of OT.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

2. try a Sony, Alpine, or upgrade to a new Clarion head unit.

3. Dubtastic

Dubtastic { OG }

Is any one better than the other, or are they all pretty much the same, just different cosmetically?

4. 04

04 Guest

Pretty much the same, just cosmetic differences. One might play cd-r or cd-rw, or might have equilizer/crossover/cool display, etc. They all have pretty close to the same output power though.

5. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

:uh: not again with the everything is the same

6. twistid

the 2 companies i'd choose from for quality and preformance are /////ALPINE and PIONEER.

7. 04

04 Guest

:rofl:

So tell me then, where does this magical extra power come from? There is no step up transformer inside of ANY head unit, except one Alpine I believe, but it ran very hot. Without this, you cannot get a headunit to produce more than a certain power into a given impedence load. If you used 1 or 2 ohm speakers, then you probably could design a head unit to produce more power. The input voltage is at maximum 14.4vdc. Use ohms law: I = V/R. V = voltage at 14.4, and resistance is 4ohms(approximatly) for the loudspeaker. 14.4/4 is 3.6amperes. To get our power output we multiply 3.6amperes x 14.4volts. That totals 52watts of input power. But wait, no transistor is 100 percent efficient, and most class A/B designs are around 50 percent. So that is a total of 26watts to each loudspeaker total. All channels driven, there is not enough heatsink area to disapate that kind of heat, so that figure drops like a rock. Until they start using chips such as the tripath in headunits, or switch the car's electrical system up to a higher voltage, it is going to stay the same.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2002
  8. twistid

well for one within a few years cars will start going to 42v.

right now thought some companies have put mosfet chips in their head units, the /////ALPINE head units are really as powerful as they say. remember head units put their peak power on the package, and their RMS is of course going to be lower. they use 20amp fuses, that's a higher rated fuse then most low end amps out there. you have to have a good source of energy in the car to hook up to, for they draw alot of amps. :rofl:

9. 04

04 Guest

Well, no headunits of today use 42v, so that issue has yet to come up.

The type of transistor is not going to fix the problem. I think even a Bipolar would be around 50 percent efficient. RMS power is not even accurate measurement, it does not have any type of timeframe associated with it. It would not be a lie if my amplifier could produce 1kW RMS for .5seconds, while its true constant power output over 1hours time is only 200w. The rating of the fuse is not necessarily constant with the output power either.

Your source of energy is your charging system, the alternator and battery. A draw of 20amps should not be enough to load any charging system I can think of.

10. twistid

oh and how many headunits do you know of have eq's or time correction, i'm sure it's not every headunit out there.:rofl:

11. 04

04 Guest

:confused:

I never said any headunits have time correction built in, but I am sure some offer rudimentary functions.

As for the equilizer, I would say its a safe bet to assume 99% of headunits have a built in equilizer, as bass and treble controls are equilization functions. IIRC Pioneer units have several different bands that you can adjust. AFAIK, none have a full 30 band 2 channel EQ though. :p

12. twistid

you're trying to say all headunits are equal, when they are not. here's some addvice for you, if you plan on making a career out of this stuff. go find a shop, and become an installers appretice. if you'd get you head out of the books, and get some real life expirence you'd be better off. these days a shop would hire someone with real life expirence and knowlage over someone with book knowlage that thinks they know everything. if you like reading so much, read trade magazines that are distributed to the 12v world(not like car stereo review, but like automedia), then you'll start to find out there is differences between item a vs. item b.

13. 04

04 Guest

:bigthumb: :rofl:

Dude, you honestly think I would try and become a salesman of anything? I would be the worst salesman on the planet. I would have to spend my days telling people they need things that they truly do not. Quite frankly, the audio market is not well paying in the sales division, unless its based on commisson. I don't know if I could make my living on selling people stuff that was way overkill or something they totally didnt need. Only the engineering side is what I would be interested in.

But, I actually plan on going with computers. I know them better than audio, so I figure thats a good place to start. Would not be a salesman for computer's either. Yes sir, you need a GF 4 4600 to make those digital pictures show up better! :ugh2:

Still if you think buying a 1000 dollar headunit over a 200 dollar one is going to sound better, mad props to ya bro. Im surprised the trade magazine's comment on something as subjective as sound quality though. And as a side note, I subscribe nor ever have to any car audio magazines. As to this date as well, I have yet to read any book on audio or acoustics, all the information I have obtained has been of the intarweb.

If you think I am trying to be a know it all, then you are sadly mistaken. I know NOTHING compared to those that have spent years in this field (engineering of course, not sales). I do point out things such as amplifier, cable, etc audibility, because when people are asking system suggestions, 9 times out of 10 they really don't even care about sound quality or output, they only want features. For the remaining 10 percent who are truly interested in good sound quality, then they obviously spend a lot of time and money in this area, and if upgrading to expensive components makes them happy, who am I to argue with them?

The most ironic thing you have pointed out is that I will start realizing that there are differences between A and B. It has gone the other way. The more I have learned, the more I have figured out that there are less differences than people make out to be.

14. twistid

042801:well do you have any suggestions, or are you just wasting his time??? i mean that's what he's asking for, not a bunch of #'s.

dubtastic:i still say either PIONEER or /////ALPINE, just depends on what you truely want out of a headunit.

15. 04

04 Guest

I am not wasting his time, he asked if their was a difference in power output between units, and I said no, which is the truth...

The numbers are the only way of proving it to him. What do you want me to do, just tell them there is a difference, just because I said so? Unfortunatly in the real world that never works.

I do not have a specific recommendation, as I have always used Sony. I have also installed an Alpine, it seemed to be a nice unit, had about the same power output though...

16. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

You guys actually use your headunits to power your speakers? :ugh:

17. twistid

:rofl: forget it

Last edited: Aug 24, 2002
  18. 04

04 Guest

No, not in my car...

19. Dubtastic

Dubtastic { OG }

I bought an Alpine. Since I already had an Alpine, which I loved, it took all of 15 minutes to put the new one in.

This is what I ended up with: CDA7894
    [​IMG]

Link

Not the fanciest but not to most simple either. As I said, I dont need anything super fancy as I have just an average system. It is really nice to have 9 albums on 1 CD and be able to listen to that in the car. :)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2002
  20. 04

04 Guest

Cool, looks like a good unit.

21. twistid

:cool: very good choice, we sell the shit out of them.:wiggle: