Head Unit Recommendations?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Maud'dib, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Maud'dib

Maud'dib It's always summer on the inside...

Ok, I want a quality HU, preferrably where you can choose between having green and amber buttons, but I have no brand loyalty.

My only requirements are that it have three preouts and one auxiliary in. I love the alpine HU's, but they dont seem to have an aux input, and I want to be able to run my MP3 player through it. I like all the standard features, but being able to play MP3's or WMA's is kinda negligible, since I want to plug in my MP3 player anyways.

Lets assume that price is not an issue, but I'd prefer under 500 MSRP (and if I can get this for less, cheaper is better.)

You guys know best, any recommendations? Or perhaps a solution to the lack of an Aux Input in the Alpines?

Thanks.

2. boostin-gp

boostin-gp Guest

You can pick up the alpine CDA-7894 for pretty cheap on ebay. You can change the button colors from green to amber. It doesnt have an aux in, but you can get an adaptor to make the AInet an aux in. On top of that... if you have an IPOD, alpine is coming out with an adaptor specifically for that.

:cool: head unit. 60X4 vdrive amp, mp3 ect ect ect

3. Maud'dib

Hmmmmm, thanks for the help. I just looked into the Ai-net Auxiliary adapter. Seems like a good option.

What do you guys think of the Clarion DXZ745MP? Seems like a good HU to me, but I don't know anything about Clarion.

4. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

If you can find an DXZ835MP (2003) model that is above the 745. THe 845 is trashy.

THe 835 has a 3 band Eq and lots of colors u can choose like 768 or something :big grin:

5. Maud'dib

So lemme get this straight. The 745 is fine, but the 835 is better (and last years model), and the 845 is trashy.

How is Clarion regarded? Good sound quality. quality build, etc?

6. Maud'dib

Now that I think about it, what about the Nakamichi CD-400? It seems to blend in with my dash so much more.

I just cant make up my mind...

7. boostin-gp

boostin-gp Guest

It all just boils down to personal preference. I've been in love with alpines for a couple of years. After going through one of thier higher end cd players and going through the sound adjustment areas, I just cant see myself getting another type of deck.

Like i said... personal preference.