Head Unit Reccomendations?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by wongerbonger, May 6, 2004.

1. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

I need a new head unit that can play mp3s/wma and isn't too expensive..

any suggestions?

2. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

Despite my general hatred for Sony, I got their CDX-f7700 (new "xplod" series) I like it a lot. it sounds crisp, has front, rear, sub outputs, and also an auxillery input (I use that for my mp3server that I built for my truck), XM radio ready (too poor right now to actually afford it though), and I really like the ease of use to change stuff on it.

oh, and this is the 1st head unit I've owned that actually gets decent reception on the normal radio.

3. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

aux input ? :eek3:

and what is this mp3server you speak of that you built?

4. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

Basically a computer that I have wired to auto run winamp, and is controlled through a matrixorbital display. right now it's out for repairs (heat in florida does bad things to harddrives :hs: ), but I'm using a MSI Mini ATX mobo (K7N2M/K7N2GM series) with an integrated 800Mhz Celeron, onboard sound, nforce2 onboard video (I think it's an integrated GeForce3) , and digital video/audio out. the whole mobo is about and inch larger than a CD case. this is the display/control panel I use http://www.matrixorbital.com/pages/product_view.asp?CatID=5&ProductID=35. I canibalized an old car cassette player to make a housing for it. since my truck's radio hole is double wide, I've got the LCD display ontop of the head unit. It's really easy to build the server, and program the control panel. I think in total the project cost me $350 for a 60 gig dedicated MP3 server. though if I ever wanted to, I could hook up some LCD screens to the server with it's onboard digital video out, and use it as a multi-media server. (actually, that's a project for winter break this year)

5. On_One

On_One Guest

6. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

7. On_One

On_One Guest

I fucking hate their interface.

8. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

any other reccomendations?

i want a nice head unit that will easily let me browse through my mp3 folders

9. kevlarface

kevlarface New Member

I have this head unit too! (CDX-F7705X - blue light) Super easy functions and everything is super clear, compared to my old Pioneer deck.

The only thing is...the other day my buddy with a Alpine head unit can scroll through the files while the song is playing! :o Can the Sony it do this also?

10. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

I agree with the signature ... It's easy to hate alpine's interface until you use one for awhile, any new deck takes awhile to get used to

11. Brieldo

Brieldo Bigger than you are.

Eclipse has decks out now that have mp3 capabiliity. In my opinion, unlses you're using Toslink or some kind of proprietary connection system, Eclipse has the best preouts in the industry. They're definitely worth taking a look at.

12. boostin-gp

boostin-gp Guest

Alpine by far has the best mp3 searching.