head unit not functioning with only 2 speakers?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by FatLuke, Sep 7, 2006.

1. FatLuke

FatLuke not really fat

hey guys, i just installed a head unit into a truck i just acquired, and now it is not producing any audio. the truck only has two speakers, is there any chance that the HU needs a full load of speakers for it to operate? it is powering up, reading cds, the audio out bar graphs are moving, but the speakers aren't working. i've rechecked the connections several times, perhaps i need a dummy load for the rear speaker outs? any ideas? thanks guys.

2. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

What kind of truck? year/make/model, and what kind of factory headunit was in there?

It is possible that there is a factory amplifier that needs a 12v signal to turn on.

3. FatLuke

FatLuke not really fat

it is a 1990 toyota pick-up. some jensen or something head unit was in there, it wasn't factory. whoever had it before me cut off the factory harness and everything, but i wired it the same way it was before i cut everything. but who knows, i may have not wired it correctly, but i checked the speaker wires with a 9-volt first.

4. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

if the deck is fine, then you got a speaker wire shorted out somewhere.

5. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

hmm, I doubt it will have a factory amp then.

triple check the wires to the speakers, if that doesn't work try hooking the speakers up to the rear channels on the deck. It is also possible that the deck is bad.

6. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

grounded out speaker lead is my bet.

7. rebs

rebs shares AIDS OT Supporter

expose the sstereo harness, cut the driver side speaker..see if you get sound from the pass, if not, reconnect and do the same to the passenger side.

8. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

or you can just use the balance and fader, to do the same thing by shutting the deck off and turning it back on after each change... but if you already have the deck out make sure it's not one of the speaker leads, thats going to no speaker but taping them off real good if you did not do it the first time.

9. FatLuke

FatLuke not really fat

since i'm sure everyone is on the edge of their seats wondering if i fixed my stereo, i did. i did a reset to factory settings, then when i disabled demo mode it worked perfectly. what the hell?