Head Unit Fitment

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by z284pwr, Sep 8, 2004.

1. z284pwr

z284pwr OT Supporter

Recently I have been looking around for new Head Units for the newly aqcuired car, and going off of Crutchfield's fitment thing, alot of the ones I've liked and been looking at show up as no fitting, should I really be looking at if they say it will fit or not?

Here is a little more info on what I'm looking at, been looking mainly at DVD and DVD w/Monitor *Alpine DVA-7996 , Alpine IVA-D300 , Alpine IVA-D900 *
    As you can tell I tend to go for Alpine, but non of them appear to fit, the other one that caught my eye that did fit Kenwood KVT-715DVD

Before I forget, the most important part, the car is a '90 Turbo Grand Prix. It already has two amps so the worry about non internal amp on one of those head units wouldn't be a problem. This will be my third car installing an aftermarket head unit in it so I'm getting pretty good at it, so I'm not worried about installing it as long as it will fit.

Any comments suggestions from some of Audio Experts would be greatly appreciated.....

2. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

can you post pics of your dash??? some of those you need to mod the dash.

3. z284pwr

z284pwr OT Supporter

Yeah, can do, these should give you an idea....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't know if this really matters but the entire top section *where the vents curve in, then jump out* that whole section will come all the way off its more of a "dash pad"

4. 93ex

93ex New Member

i did a cd playe rin my roomates grand, same dash, sans the whatever that is below the stereo.

the dash kit protruded a good bit from the flush mount of the stock stereo. My advice would be to get a dash kit and measure the depth from the front of the kit to the rear of the radio. You may still have to trim out some plastic, but it will get you a better idea what to work with

5. dloseke

dloseke Noobish Silver Member

I'd be fixin the seats before putting in a bumping system....or at least spend a little on some seat covers

6. z284pwr

z284pwr OT Supporter

Seat Covers for those seats aren't going to be very easy to find and look good.....not that to do in the first place :rolleyes: but yeah, the seats are specials 8-way adjustable just for the car along with the normal forward and back up down that normaly come, and with it being a limited production car and having leather seats as an option and also having grey as on option, finding seats is going to be hard enough. P But yeah, I'm already looking for some....Utah JYs suck anyways, and only ever seeing 2 other ones of these in the state so far make it that much harder, and shipping seats is :nono: