HDTV With Analog Input Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by neotango, Mar 16, 2006.

1. neotango

neotango New Member

Sometimes I see HDTV's on display at the store showing analog video which appears to be "stretched" to fit the screen. How can I tell if a TV has a feature to *not* stretch analog input (ie. show analog video at its regular aspect ratio with black void on the sides)? I'd like to buy a HDTV for DVDs and Off-Air HDTV but I don't want to watch my analog Off-Air channels in a "stretched" form.
    TIA!

2. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

Nearly all of them can be put in 4:3, even a Magnavox LCD tv can do that.

3. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

This is true.

4. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

As already said, I believe every HDTV can play 4:3 content in it's actual ratio and have black or gray bars on the side. TV stores don't do that for a couple reasons. One is many consumers think something is wrong with the TV which leaves them with a negative first impression. Secondly, on some TV's it's not recommended to have the bars on the side for an extended period of time (especially black instead of gray) as it wears something out (I forget what though).

5. neotango

neotango New Member

Interesting... That sounds kind of like the PDP (Plasma) TV's "burn-in" problem with network logos and stock tickers. Do you know if the side-bar burn-in occurs on non-plasma displays (e.g. LCD, CRT)?