HDTV Tuner...what to look for?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kieffer87, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

Hey guys, I just bought a 26" Sharp LCD for my room. I want to catch some over the air HDTV broadcasts, what do I have to buy/look for when buying one? I was looking on Ebay and most are going for around $100 this sound reasonable?

2. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Did you check any websites to make sure there is HD content that can be picked up in your area? I think a site is antenna.org or something like that.

3. Kieffer87

I'll have to check that out, thanks!

4. Kieffer87

Ok the site is actually www.antennaweb.org and There are over 15 Channels I can get but Im assuming the DTV are the HD channels which there are 6 channels available, four of which are green uhf and 2 that are violet uhf. antenna.org has a bunch of antennas, can I just get one of those instead of the HD tuner box?

5. Ronin

Ronin Guest

analog over the air signals are going to be getting phased out

February 17, 2009, all TV broadcasters nationwide must switch off their analog broadcasts. After that date, televisions that rely solely on analog over-the-air television--typically delivered via rabbit-ear antennas--will go dark. Anticipating mass hysteria that would arise from millions of Americans losing their free TV, the Act allocates $1.5 billion toward a subsidy for new DTV converter boxes. A converter box would allow televisions that lack a DTV tuner--still the majority of those sold in the United States--to display the new digital broadcasts.

im not exactly sure if this applies to you as im not very familiar but i figured this is worth mentioning regardless

6. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

if i'm not mistaken, that date keeps on getting pushed back and back.

7. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i believe bush signed something :dunno:

8. Kieffer87

So we get basic cable to our apartment right now included in rent, so I decided to call them and see if they had any hd packages without going digital. They told me for $10 I get all the local channels plus discovery, and INHD, INHD2 and a couple ofthers all in HD. That includes the box I will need. Which makes me happy as hell, now I dont have to buy a hd tuner, antenna and all that and have to worry about it being usless in a year or 2. :wiggle: :cool:

9. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

eh?

What cable company? We had to get digital cable with Comcast. And I HATE digital cable.

10. CrazyInteg

CrazyInteg Honda-Acura.net OG

FYI, in order to get HD you will need either component video cables or an HDMI cable. Check with your cable company to see what their box uses, and also make sure your TV has those same connections. It will most likely be component video.

If you use the composite (yellow RCA plug) or the S-Video cable you wont be getting HD.

11. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

What model Sharp is this?