HDTV on a non-HDTV but running @ 16:9 Enhanced Mode...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Skoles, May 27, 2004.

1. Skoles

Skoles Guest

Hopefully this is the right place for this.

I have a 32" Sony Wega that has the componant video-in option and can take a 16:9 widescreen movie & compress it down into the 4:3 screen giving you a higher resolution.

I'm wondering if I can use the HDTV cable box/decoder that Comcast provides and hook that into my TV to get a better picture using the 16:9 mode and componant cables.

Here are a couple examples of what the "16:9 Enhanced Mode" does:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I get less jaggies, signs of compression artifacts are gone and the scanlines all but vanish. The picture quality when in person looks HD quality and it's only running through an S-Video cable.

This is probably a stupid question, but I'd like to know if at least watching HDTV channels through this method would look better than standard cable.

2. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

The enhanced or "anamorphic squeeze" mode isn't as important as support for HD resolutions is. Does your TV support 1080i or 720p resolutions? If it doesn't, then an HDTV box would be pretty useless.

3. Skoles

Skoles Guest

No, the TV doesn't support true HD resolution. But that "squeeze" mode emulates it you could say. Basicly I'm looking to get the HD box so I can have the option have the cable box output to widescreen so I can then use the 16:9 Enhanced Mode to get a kick-ass picture. If I watch widescreen programs on there now they're not true widescreen, I need a cable box that lets me set it to output a 16:9 signal, my DVD player lets me do it which is how I watch movies in the squeezed mode.

I guess the only way to find out is to get the box...

4. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

I played around with my Adelphia HDTV box (motorola 5100), and I found that it can be configured to output 480P resolution through the component connection. And, the picture is anamorphic, so it's perfect for a TV that can squeeze. So, you might be ok if Comcast has motorola 5100's and your TV can do 480P through the component connector