HDTV/Home Audio Questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Slimmy, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Slimmy

Slimmy Get Richt or Die Trying

My brother just bought an HDTV for our apartment, a 51" Toshiba TheaterWide. :)

I need to get an idea of what kinda cables I need and should use. I already have the optical cable for DVD sound, and an RCA cable for video. Should I switch it to S-Video for video?

What do I need for the HDTV box I will get from my cable company? Should I get a good component video cable set, like Monster Cable? And if I'm running video through the receiver's monitor out output, will that decrease the HD signal, or can I still do that? Would the single RCA output ruin the HD signal if it comes from the HDTV box --> Receiver --> TV ? What about sound for the HDTV box?

Just trying to get an idea, gotta go buy all this stuff when I get back to my apartment, wanna make sure I get it all in one shot. :)

This is the TV if it makes any difference: http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisions/product.asp?model=51H84

The receiver:
    http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/product.jsp?productId=2449

2. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Gotta go component all the way to use the HD signal. So since your receiver doesnt switch component, then just go straight from sources to the TV.

3. Slimmy

What about for audio from the HDTV box? My receiver only has one optical input. Should I just swap them back and forth for the HD-box and the DVD player?

Also, would upgrading to a progressive scan DVD player be worth it? My DVD player is quite a few years old, before progressive was available.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2004
  4. Seadee456

Seadee456 New Member

You have 2 coaxial inputs on your reciever, I'm sure that one of the DVD or HD box has a coax output. The quality is almost identical to optical.

5. Slimmy

Alright, so I guess I'll use coaxial audio for the HDTV box since I already have the optical hooked to the DVD player, and I don't believe it has a coaxial audio output, only RCA, which doesn't give me the Dolby or DTS sound.

I guess I should upgrade the DVD player while I'm at it anyway.

6. Seadee456

Seadee456 New Member

Yes, you should upgrade to a progressive scan DVD player now that you have a HDTV, but be sure to get a nice one. Wal Mart sells a progresive DVD player for like 30 bucks, don't get that one.

7. Slimmy

What about the $40-60 Toshiba's and what not? Perfectly fine?

8. Brian

Brian New Member

u should go dvi (the cable that looks like a monitor cable) from your cable box to your tv for video and optical for audio

and for your proggessive scan dvd player go componet for video and optical for audio

9. Slimmy

Yea, we're gonna get the HDMI cable for the HD-box since the TV has HDMI-input. And digital coax for audio.

We're gonna hold off a few weeks on the progressive scan DVD, and then run component video and optical sound.

10. Seadee456

Seadee456 New Member

Thats accually what I'm using now, I got a 60 dollar Toshiba DVD playa from BB and it's connected to my HDTV and it looks good enough. Whatever you do, just don't use a PS2 or Xbox

11. 04

04 Guest

There was a dvd player (by Phillips I think?) that was going for around 50-60 dollars, and it played back mpeg-4 video streams like xvid divx, etc. I'd look into that one, as everyone in the main forum was raving about it.

12. CrackSeed

CrackSeed OT Supporter

Be sure to ask the cable company if the HD box supports DVI output. I have a DVI connection on my box, but Time Warner has it disabled. Also, the cable company might supply you with component cables that should work just fine.

13. Seadee456

Seadee456 New Member

Any component wires are fine for the cable box. I'm cheap and have RCA cables acting as component cables for mine.

14. Slimmy

Yea, we're gonna hold off on the progressive scan DVD player for now. My brother said the TV purchase included a gift card he'll get in the mail in a few weeks, so we can use that on a new DVD player.

I bought the Pioneer tower speakers we're gonna use to replace our front Sony bookshelf speakers, and move those to the rear, on speaker stands.

He said the component cables from Bright House look fine, so I doubt we'll need to replace those, just need to get a digital coaxial cable for audio from the HD-box and then we should be set.

I'm gonna be home on Sunday and then I get to set it all up. :)

15. Jazz

Jazz Powerhouse of the Scrum

16. Slimmy

Guess we'll get that one from BB when the time comes.