HDtv guys, i need help choosing a display

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Jan 11, 2006.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

ok, heres my deal. my current tv is a piece of crap. its a phillips magnavox smart series from about 5 years ago. it's 23", which works out good in my room, because it's smaller. this tv sucks, the only inputs are a single coax cable and a single set of composites. i really wish this tv would die already, i use it all the time and i'm impressed that it still works.
    i have a series 1 and a series 2 tivo and basic cable. also i have a phillips progressive scan dvd player DVP 642 (awesome dvd player i might add)

my tivos best video output option is s-video, because i don't have an HD tivo and i don't think i will be getting one for at least 5 years (when hd tv takes over, i will get the stepdown box so i can use my current tivos, once tivo starts releasing a nicely price hd tivo, i will get one of those, but that will be at least 3 years from now)

i'm looking to get a new tv. heres what i have in mind.
    Syntax Olevia LT26HVE 26" HD-Ready Flat-Panel LCD TV
    [​IMG]
    it goes for around $599 after rebate every once in a while at CC and best buy, however it's not a true 16:9 display and i'm concerned that the picture quality will be less than a CRT display. i'm also concerned that this thing will crap out or develop hot pixels/lines in like 2 years...

i don't want to spend over $600 for a display and i'm also looking at the Samsung TXR2765 27" Dynaflat HD-Ready TV which is a CRT, but is 16:9 that displays 1080i

cliffs: my current tv sucks, want a new HD capable one for under $600 around 26"

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

ill look in one of my home theater mags/perfect vision, and get back to you ;)

3. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

If you watch mostly basic cable the CRT will give you the best image quality on non-digital channels. I would get a 16:9 display since you will most likely have it for a few years. IF you got with that 26" LCD which isn't 16:9 you will have an even smaller image when watching HD content. I'd go with the Samsung CRT. Or you could save the cash and pick up a larger display down the road.

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i think i will wait till this tv dies...then plop down the money on a decent lcd, i'm sure a CRT will give me an awesome picture, but i don't want something that is 90+ lbs
    also, i read somewhere that the syntax olevia also has a different version out, lt26hvx or something that improves a little over last years model.
    i'll just wait and see, displays will get cheaper and cheaper as HDtv approaches...then when it's all it, EDtv displays will be rediculously cheap and i'll get one of those just for dvds and tivo and vcr, because by that time i'll have a bluray or hd dvd player.

5. Ronin

Ronin Guest

for something inexpensive it seems it seems CRT would be better, but since you are waiting I think the best option as far as quality goes is DLP, LCOS is good to due to the low level of pixelation but its contrast ratio will not be as high