HDTV gurus.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mac scootch, Mar 8, 2007.

1. mac scootch

mac scootch Anti-Square

I think I might be going crazy. I'm watching some tv now, and it's on 'full' mode. Apparently, 16:9 tv shows in 'full' mode are supposed to be viewed in its original size. But I'm getting vertical black bars on the left and right side of my TV. Isn't it supposed to fill my screen if its broadcast in 16:9? Also, the 4:3 shows are filling the screen. Could it just be the program I'm watching?

2. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

A lot of shows, even if they are broadcast in HD, aren't filmed in HD or are in 4:3 aspect ratio. Most sitcoms and game shows, for instance. So you will see the bars even when you tune to the HD channel.

Not sure about 4:3 shows filling the screen, if they are doing that then I'd think you have the zoom function turned on.

(also, this should go in a/v forum)

3. AO

AO New Member

This question is in the wrong section.

Be that as it may, is this a Pani where you can set the aspect ratio? If so, you should see no difference between 4:3 and Full if the source is 4:3. Conversely, you may find that a signal is being broadcast at both aspect ratios, 16:9 AND 4:3, allowing SD TV to "just" receive 4:3 and widescreen TVs to receive 16:9. If watching in HDTV you will be able to select either and both will look correctly.

If you see an SDTV channel, 4:3, on x.0 and the HDTV, 16:9, on channel x.1, you should be able to toggle the x.1 channel to 4:3 or 16:9. Both will display correctly. In effect there are two aspects to the same sub channel, x.1 because two sub carriers are being transmitted.

Then there is the 16:9 channel (cough*Smallville*cough) where there are bars on top and the sides. In effect the SDTV channel is broadcasting a widescreen in a 4:3 box (the usual 'top' and 'bottom' bars on a 4:3 screen when watching a 16:9 movie, "Letterbox") but because it is not also broadcasting a 16:9 sub carrier, the HDTV only sees a 4:3 signal. So you get black boxes all around. Your only other option, then, is to put the aspect ratio on "Zoom," with some resultant image loss, because it usually zooms closer than the black bars allows.

So, to answer your question, yes, it is the transmitted channel material which is dictating the aspect ratio, specifically through sub carriers of the sub channel.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007