HDTV: educate the noob

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by chad2261, Aug 13, 2004.

1. chad2261

chad2261 New Member

I haven't really been paying attention to the whole HDTV thing since I could never afford one but things are different now and I'd like to learn. The only information I've found is on television programs playing in HD through satellite boxes and digital cable and whatnot. I'm not concerned with watching television in high definition, all I want is nice picture quality for my DVD's.

My question is this: if I buy an HD-Ready TV, will my DVD's play in HD? Or will the picture quality at least be better than a regular television set? Do I need a 'special' DVD player?

2. sleev

sleev It's sleep, life, and death It's speed, coke, and

You should at least get a progessive scan DVD player.
    Basically, as I understand it, the picture quality will always be better with your HDTV set if you have a digital signal. However, when you go to use an analog source, expect your quality to be worse than if you had a regular TV, unless you have a seperate HDTV receiver that you can shut off. Talk to the sales guy at whatever store you plan on buying from.

3. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

Hi-Def ready TVs usually mean that if you have a HiDef satellite receiver, you can watch it in HD resolution. Usually, it means it has the DVI or another input that is specifically for a HD source. HD-Ready can also be marketing jargon that may mean something different from one manufacturer to another. Best thing to do is compare the sets that you want and look for opinions online for the set that you're considering.

I'm sure there are plenty of places where you can learn a bunch about HDTV, including the http://www.avsforum.com and http://www.hometheaterforum.com but I'll take a quick stab at a quick resolution overview. You can learn alot about specific DVDs on http://www.dvdtalk.com .

Jargon:
    Interlaced - every other horizontal line is drawn on the screen, the lines in between each drawn line is interpolated
    Progressive - every horizontal line is drawn, period
    soooo.... 1080i=540p when it comes down to resolution

HDTV resolution is 1080i (1080 lines, interlaced) (pretty much the same as 540p)
    Progressive DVD is typically 540p (540 lines, progressive)
    Standard DVD is 480i (480 lines, interpolated)
    Standard over the air TV is about 240p (240 lines, progressive)
    Downconverted HDTV is usually 720i (where most plasma TVs stop)

Occasionally, you'll run across a device that can display 1080p, that is considered big $$ high end components. Nice option to have, but hardly any DVDs are mastered to look that good at that resolution.

Hope this helps.

4. Crossett

Crossett New Member

towards the end of the year samsung will have thier new 61" out with the xHD3 chip that runs 1080p.