HDTV and LCD TV questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Creator, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Creator

Creator The Creator Has a Master Plan

Ok i posted this in main but no one seems to know about this and i really need some help, SO if anyone can help out that would be awsome:

I need to buy two TVs. One 17-20in LCD and one 40-52in HDTV. Id liek to spend 5-750 on the LCD and 8-1400 on the HD. The HD cant be rear projection beacuse people will be viewing it from all angles. Front projection is out too. There is this LCD here on ebay:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...5711486449&rd=1

I like the height and price. It has to be wall mountable.

I haev no clue about the big screen though. So those in the know, let me know

2. Creator

3. Creator

Also i need a surround sound system for a few hundred bucks... sugestions on that?

4. bow2ak

bow2ak New Member

5. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

Dell has a great LCD tv line - good pricing, too.

6. paul9luap

paul9luap Boiler Up

i really don't think there is anything in your price range for a 42-50" tv that's NOT rear projection. LCD Projection, DLP and Plasma are all well above $800-1400. LCD's don't really come in that size range either. For a 42-50" tv, i think you're stuck with a rear projection unless you want to spend more.

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.j...ookmark=bookmark_0&oid=97524&catoid=-8023&m=0

7. GTO2050

GTO2050 OT's Ol Man™

8. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

Are you completely stuck on LCD for your TV? I would consider a different technology for a better picture. LCDs are good, don't get me wrong, but CRT and even DLP technology is much better for image quality. Have you ever looked through a screen door? Go back and look at the LCD sets and see if you have the feeling you're looking through a screen door (a la pixelization). Oh and did the salesman tell you that if you have spots (dead pixels) on your screen, that is considered normal and they typically don't repair that?

I don't want to burst your bubble, I just want you to get the best bang for your buck. Yeah, CRTs are big, but they have an amazing picture once they have been calibrated correctly. DLPs are becoming a very close competitor to the CRT sets.

Hope this helps.

9. WPS

WPS f22c1

question about hdtv's

if you get one of those tv's with the built in tuner , do you have to suscribe to hdtv signals. or are there any free ones. like the olympics on nbc??

what im saying is, you have to pay 10 bux more for hdtv oncable but are there any free ones on local stations or some stations offer the signals over the regular cable??

10. 04

04 Guest

Over the air transmissions are free, so all you have to do is buy a tuner. If your area has transmitters, you can usualy get ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, WB, PBS, UPN and other DTV broadcasts.

Cable might have ESPN and Discovery and others which you wouldnt be able to pick up for free.

11. WPS

WPS f22c1

thanks for the reply

yeah that's what i wanted to know. interested in getting a tv with hdtv built in was hoping i can get some use out of it.